Chapter 31: Farewell, Kikyo?

"Yu-!" Jaken cried, but Sesshomaru was already there. He jumped, landing right in front of Yuki, and she huddled against his back as he drew Tokijin before himself, using the sword to block his own attack against them.

Jaken was pushed back from the force of the blow, even at his distance, while Yuki braced herself against Sesshomaru as the attacks energy blew wildly around them. Sesshomaru grit his teeth as he threw his entire weight into his defence, preventing them from being incinerated.

"Sesshomaru!" Yuki gasped as the energy started to push them back, their feet dragging along the ground against their will, and he growled.

He abruptly swung his sword, causing the attack to bypass them as he pushed Yuki to the other side with his back before leaping into the air himself.

Sesshomaru swiped at Naraku once more, cutting right through the demon's head, but Naraku laughed as he said: "It's useless."

Sesshomaru dropped back down beside Yuki as she stood with Kiba and Tsume drawn, but hesitant to attack after witnessing Naraku's ability. They watched as Naraku started to mend himself back together while withdrawing in cloud of smoke, sneering as he did: "I will never die!"

Yuki's eyes narrowed as Naraku laughed, and she was about to throw an attack just out of spite when Sesshomaru ordered: "Hold your attack."

She growled as Naraku flew away in his dark smoke, escaping them. Sesshomaru glared after the demon as he disappeared, thinking: 'Such impudence. You merely wished to test the power of your new body against me.'

He sheathed Tokijin once more, when Yuki muttered: "It would have made me feel a little better to have at least thrown an attack at him."

"But it would also give him more ammunition against you later." Sesshomaru replied shortly, ignoring as Yuki scowled at him.

"I hate when you're logical." She muttered before turning to glance at the ravine once more.

He glanced at her then, noticing as she bit her lip while a crease appeared between her brows.

But his eyes shifted to the side instantly as he smelt some else approaching them, eyes narrowing. Yuki did the same, though her eyes filled with sorrow as Inuyasha came running up towards them.

"Sesshomaru." Inuyasha growled, his eyes flicking briefly to Yuki to acknowledge her presence as well.

But most of his focus was on his hated older brother, and Sesshomaru clearly felt the same as he greeted coolly: "Inuyasha. Still alive, are you?"

"What are you doing here?" Inuyasha snarled, but Sesshomaru ignored his tone as he informed his brother: "It seems that Naraku's main interest was not you. But rather, his real objective was to kill that woman."

"Huh?"

Inuyasha's scowl dropped instantly, his eyes flying to Yuki as he searched for some comforting reassurance that Sesshomaru hadn't meant what he thought he meant.

Unfortunately, she had none, and she could only say sadly: "I'm sorry, Yasha. She's gone."

Sesshomaru observed them emotionlessly as Inuyasha's face scrunched and he murmured: "No... Kikyo..."

His jaw locked and he dashed to the edge of the ravine, looking down at where his beloved had fallen.

"No..." Inuyasha whispered, falling to his knees as he stared at the rapids flowing below, already having long carried away whatever might have remained of Kikyo's body.

Yuki hung her head for her honorary brother's pain as Inuyasha whispered: "I failed you again, Kikyo. I let you die. I wasn't there for you when you died alone."