Chapter 69: Defying Fate

"Okay, how does that feel?" Kagome asked as she finished purifying Kohaku's shard.

"Good." The boy answered quietly as he sat in front of Kagome, his back to her so she could purify the shard in the base of his neck. "It feels a lot better."

Rin sat before Kohaku, watching the boy, while Jaken sat beside the girl though he was sulking as he stared off into the distance. The news that Sesshomaru had left them – with no clue as to when he might come back – had left the imp demon very irritated. Paired with Yuki's short replies to his questions and her sharp retorts to his accusations that it was her fault Sesshomaru hadn't returned, and Jaken was left in a petulant huddle.

Yuki herself sat near Rin, though she, too, was staring at the sky rather than at Kohaku and Kagome. Sango sat off to the side, close enough that she could hear Kagome and Kohaku's exchange, but with her back to Kohaku's back as neither sibling looked at the other.

It was rather depressing. Inuyasha had gone off to sit further away in a huff, while Shippo sat with the half-demon; and Miroku had disappeared alone to the river claiming he wished to wash up a little after their most recent battle. Something was off about the monk, but Yuki didn't press it after Inuyasha gave her a tiny shake of his head.

Apparently, whatever it was, Miroku – and Inuyasha – didn't want the girls, probably mostly Sango, to know about it.

"Lady Kikyo's light."

Yuki glanced over at Kohaku's sudden comment, and as Kagome also looked at the boy questioningly, Kohaku elaborated pensively: "It happened when Naraku tried to take my jewel shard. I'm not sure why, but the minute his tentacles made contact, the pure light started flowing into him."

Yuki frowned, while Kagome repeated in surprise: "From Naraku's tentacles?"

Kohaku turned to look at Kagome as he explained: "It almost felt as though Lady Kikyo was purifying me."

"I see." Yuki said thoughtfully. 'That explains why Kohaku's shard kept him and Rin safe in the underworld – Kikyo's light is with him. It must have been protecting Kohaku from the darkness, and Rin too so long as Kohaku was touching her.'

Yuki glanced up as Sango stood up and came to settle herself down right beside her brother.

"And so..." She murmured, and Kohaku glanced at his sister as Sango looked right at him, asking: "Kohaku, are you suggesting you'll be able to use your shard to defeat Naraku."

"Well, I..." Kohaku began, hedging. He clearly didn't want to worry his sister, but Yuki observed that by shutting her out he was only making things worse.

Apparently, Rin agreed as the child piped up suddenly: "Naraku said he was going to take Kohaku's head. He said that once he did that, he could slowly defile the shard."

Yuki's brow shot up, while Kohaku scolded sharply: "Rin!"

"Well, you almost died Kohaku!" Rin snapped back, her brown eyes filled with worry and reproach.

Kohaku ignored it, however, as he turned to Sango, imploring: "Don't listen to her."

As Sango pressed her lips together, Kohaku insisted: "Look, sister, it's clear that my shard can cause Naraku pain."

Sango sighed, turning her head away, and Kohaku continued determinedly: "I know Lady Kikyo's power is protecting me! That's why-"

"Enough!"

Yuki sighed this time as Inuyasha's fist smacked onto Kohaku's head, cutting the boy off.

Inuyasha glared down at the boy irritably while he continued: "Stop your babbling."