Chapter 6: Friends and Foes

"Thank you for saving me, Master Totosai." Yuki said politely as Totosai landed them safely down, not far from his place.

Yuki glanced at the large skull that made up Totosai's home, surrounded by the flames and lava that he used to forge his swords.

"It's... a very nice place." She added, and he chuckled: "Huh. I doubt it for an arctic fox demon."

"I'm a half-demon." She said evasively, and he pointed out: "But you are half arctic fox demon."

He walked off heading back towards his home as Yuki frowned.

"Uh, excuse me, Master Totosai-" She began, and Totosai interrupted as he glanced back: "You were wondering why I do not treat you differently."

Yuki hesitated, nodding.

"I mean, I appreciate it." Yuki added. "But, this has never happened to me in all my 180 years. And now it seems like everyone around me doesn't care that I'm a half-demon... except maybe Sesshomaru."

"Hmmm." Totosai turned to look at her. "How do you know Sesshomaru?"

"I... I met him recently, and travelled with him for a short while, I guess." Yuki admitted. "It's a long story."

"Hm." Totosai commented, before turning away once more. "Well, perhaps you are simply finding your right place in the world, now."

Yuki blinked, staring after Totosai as he walked away casually, disappearing into his home. She wasn't sure what to say to his words as she wondered if he was answering her question... or answering his own question.

She sighed as she turned away, heading off back to her own isolated company. She would catch up with Inuyasha again at some time or other; besides, he was busy with his quest. While Yuki wouldn't mind joining him if he wanted, she recalled his wish that she distance herself from this Naraku and Inuyasha's hesitance to bring up Kikyo.

It had felt as though he didn't want Yuki to interfere on his personal grudge... or that he was afraid to get her involved. Either way, she would respect his wishes, for now at least.

Besides, there was the unresolved question about the change she'd previously perceived in Inuyasha's blood. It seemed Sesshomaru had been interested in it as well, and if there was one thing that was certain, it was that Sesshomaru wouldn't hesitate to kill her best friend. She needed to watch out for Inuyasha, as well as figure out why Sesshomaru had let her go that morning.

'But first,' Yuki thought as she jumped high up into the trees of the closest forest, 'food!'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later found Yuki milling about lazily amongst the trees. She hadn't caught onto Inuyasha's scent again since the incident, nor had she sensed Sesshomaru around. Though she missed Rin, she was wary of keeping her promise to visit the child after her last encounter with the dog demon who guarded Rin.

Yuki stretched, glancing up at the sky and noting the crescent moon that was just beginning to peak through the clouds. It seemed it was time for bed, and she'd just settled down on a tree branch... when she heard a human child cry out.

Yuki shot upright, turning her head towards the sound intently, and she frowned as she picked up on the sounds of buzzing. Almost as though the human in question was being pursed by bees or some form of insect... some kind of demon insect.

The boy's voice cried out again, and Yuki took off into the trees. She jumped neatly from branch to branch, racing towards the sound as she drew her swords. The buzzing was getting louder, and she detected a strange aura coming from the general area where she could hear the human boy running away, when he came to an abrupt stop.