Chapter 74: Pride

"That's Lord Sesshomaru for you!" Jaken said ecstatically while tears poured down his face in relief.

Above, Yuki sagged in similar relief and Miroku held her steadily.

"Yuki, you must be careful." He warned, concerned by how pale the half-demoness was, but she shook her head as she glanced back down to where Sesshomaru had landed not too far from Inuyasha.

The dog demon then shot a deadly glare back over his shoulder, but for once it wasn't aimed at his younger brother despite Inuyasha's earlier insult. Inuyasha sweatdropped as Jaken gasped at the look Sesshomaru was giving him before saying hurriedly, "No, I wasn't thinking anything, I swear."

"That means Master Jaken was thinking something." Rin noted, and Miroku mused, "Do you think he was echoing Inuyasha's words?"

"Could you two focus?" Yuki demanded, while below Inuyasha insisted, "All right, now, Sesshomaru, leave him to me!"

He lifted Tetsusaiga but almost as if waiting for his cue Sesshomaru leapt at Magatsuhi once more. The incarnation smirked, head back on his body, and he launched more tentacles at the approaching dog demon. Sesshomaru sliced through most of them with ease using his poison whip, but it wasn't enough and he was quickly caught once more in Magatsuhi's neverending grip.

"Sesshomaru!" Yuki called urgently as she reached for her own swords, but Miroku stayed her hand as he warned, "Yuki, you're very injured right now."

"He's right." Sango added worriedly, but Yuki shook her head.

"I have to help him, before he gets himself killed." She said grimly, and Miroku insisted, "If you go, you'll be the one who'll die."

Yuki grit her teeth and Sango glanced at her before she looked down toward her friend.

"Inuyasha!" Sango called, and the half-demon yelled back as he ran forward, "Already on it!"

He leapt into the air, swinging Tetsusaiga and cutting through the tentacles holding Sesshomaru.

The pair landed back down on the ground, but before Sesshomaru could do more than shoot an irate glare in Inuyasha's direction the half-demon snapped, "I know you don't want my help, but I can't just let you die. Most of all for Yuki's sake."

Sesshomaru's scowl deepened, and Inuyasha growled back, "I like it less than you. Now watch out. I'm going to use Meido Zangetsuha."

He raised Tetsusaiga once more, and the sword pulsed before the blade morphed to reflect the shadows of the Meido it was ready to summon.

Magatsuhi noted the change, but to their surprise he just smiled. And then, right before their eyes, the incarnation's body suddenly split into hundreds of pieces, flitting away and spreading out all around the group and Inuyasha's eyes widened. Magatsuhi chuckled again.

"By all means, give that Meido Zangetsuha a whirl." He mocked. "But be careful where you aim. You could just as easily end up killing all of your friends."

The group tensed, uncertain how to react now, but Sesshomaru ordered sharply, "Follow me."

"Huh?" Miroku and Sango blinked as Sesshomaru took to the air once more, but Yuki was already steering A-Un without question.

Sesshomaru began slicing and punching pieces of Magatsuhi's body away, clearing a path that Yuki urged A-Un to follow. Sango was quick to tail them, while below Jaken and Inuyasha dashed after the flying group.

"Whatever could he be doing?" Jaken gasped as he ran, and Inuyasha retorted, "Isn't it obvious? He's gathering Magatsuhi's body parts in one place."