Chapter 54: Hearts

Yuki was humming again as she walked with Sesshomaru, the pair traveling behind Jaken and A-Un as Rin rode atop the dragon. Despite the foggy weather and her aching arms, her spirits were high as she walked along the riverside, glancing at Sesshomaru every so often with the goofiest smile.

He pointedly ignored her at first, which only made her smile wider while her eyes were filled with mirth.

"If you continue to look like an idiot, I will ensure you are unable to even move a finger after tonight's training lesson." Sesshomaru warned at last, glancing at Yuki.

"Party pooper." Yuki pouted, though she couldn't quite keep her lips from twitching as she tried to hide her smile.

She knew he wasn't really cross, but worried that Sesshomaru might keep his word, she decided it was better to refrain from challenging his claim. After all, dating aside, he could be brutal in training.

Yuki knew in the long run she wouldn't regret asking him to help her develop on her sword skills – especially considering the new trick he'd inspired with her newly acquired adamant attack – but her body did accuse her every night she sparred against Sesshomaru for signing up for the torture.

It shut up quickly, though; Sesshomaru was always more generous with his kisses under the cover of night when he made up for all the pain he put her through. Well, as generous as Sesshomaru was capable of being.

"I can see what you're thinking about on your face." Sesshomaru deadpanned, and Yuki snorted.

"Oh really?" She asked, her tone light and teasing as she glanced up at him while Sesshomaru continued to walk beside her.

Taking a peak to make sure Rin and Jaken weren't watching, Yuki snuck closer to Sesshomaru and asked playfully: "Want to show me what your guess is?"

Sesshomaru glanced at her, his brow arching slightly and Yuki could see he was debating taking the opening she'd offered in her teasing.

But they both suddenly paused, turning their heads in sync, and became more serious as they smelt a very familiar scent. Yuki frowned as she stared up at the sky, as Sesshomaru did the same, where a faint shadow had appeared amongst the clouds.

"... Kagura?" Yuki gasped, as they spotted a familiar shadow floating around in the sky, hidden by the fog but still recognizable as the wind sorceress on her giant feather.

"What?" Jaken asked as he stopped and looked back at the pair questioningly, when Yuki's eyes widened as Kagura abruptly dropped off her feather.

"What seems to be the matter, Lord Sess-?" Jaken began, when Kagura landed with a splash in the river beside them.

"What is that?" Jaken yelped, while Yuki looked at Sesshomaru uncertainly as she noted: "She looks injured."

"Is that Kagura?" Jaken asked at the same time as he finally recognized the woman floating in the river, out cold as the rapids started to carry her down stream. "What shall we do, mi lord?"

"Forget about her." Sesshomaru answered, turning away while Yuki's brows furrowed. "We're going."

But Yuki hesitated, looking out at Kagura worriedly. She didn't like the demoness at all – how could she? – but that didn't mean she wanted to just let her die.

Inuyasha had told her how Kagura was balancing a very dangerous act with Naraku; not that Inuyasha trusted the wind sorceress – nowhere close - but neither could he deny how Kagura had subtly helped them on more than one occasion.

But Yuki's decision was made for her when, with a small splash, Rin waded her way out into the river.

"Rin!" Yuki called, starting forwards, when Sesshomaru caught her wrist.