Chapter 2: Rin

Yuki stared at Sesshomaru as he walked away, still unable to believe what was happening.

He was letting her go? This was the cruel demon Lord of the West that she'd heard of, right? The one who killed anyone who even so much as looked at him strangely if he was in a foul mood?

'Maybe I caught him in a good one?' Yuki wondered, bewildered.

Whatever it was, Yuki was about to thank her lucky stars and sneak off as Jaken trotted after his master, when Rin said enthusiastically: "Miss Yuki, where are you going to go?"

"Oh." Yuki said evasively, glancing after the dog demon warily. "Probably just go wander somewhere."

"Oh, could you come with us then?" Rin asked eagerly, and Yuki almost fell over while Sesshomaru and Jaken glanced back, the former emotionlessly and the latter incredulously. "I'd love to have someone to talk to, and you're so nice, Miss Yuki."

"Uh..." Yuki began, when Jaken interjected angrily: "Rin! Who do you think you are to extend offers to strangers, and to half-demons no less?!"

"Why?" Rin whined, clinging to Yuki's arm. "I think Miss Yuki's nice, and it would be fun to have her with us! Right, A-Un?"

The dragon's two heads snorted, as though in agreement, while Jaken shouted: "Absolutely not! Lord Sesshomaru is very busy, and he was benevolent enough to take you in. He does not need another burden!"

"Hey!" Yuki interjected indignantly, but Jaken went on over her: "And he certainly does not need a half-demon. The shame of it."

Yuki shot the little demon an annoyed look while Rin whined some more: "But, I like Miss Yuki. And she's strong! And why does it matter if she's a half-demon?"

Yuki stared at the child, surprised, while Jaken answered sharply: "Now see here, Rin. No, means no! And half-demons are beneath demons, not to mention Lord-"

"Jaken."

Again, Sesshomaru's cold tone cut the small demon off immediately, Jaken's yellow eyes going wide and his pointy mouth shutting instantly. Yuki glanced at the dog demon uneasily as he simply stood observing, and she began to untangle herself from Rin's grasp, saying gently: "Sorry, Rin. It was nice meeting you too, but I think it's time you left."

"Aw, not you too, Miss Yuki!" Rin complained.

"Sorry, Rin. But I have someone I'm looking for." Yuki explained, and Rin perked up.

"Lord Sesshomaru is looking for someone as well." Rin said. "Why not come with us, and we can all look together."

"Er..." Yuki hesitated, and Rin begged: "Please, Miss Yuki? Please?"

"Only until I find who I'm looking for." Yuki sighed at last in defeat. "And only if your companions agree."

"Of course no-!" Jaken began, but Rin cried: "Yes!"

She turned to look at Sesshomaru, pleading to the dog demon: "Please, Lord Sesshomaru? Can't Miss Yuki come with us?"

"Rin-!" Jaken began, but they were all taken aback when Sesshomaru simply answered: "As you wish."

He turned and started to walk away again while Jaken and Yuki's jaws dropped, and Rin cheered: "Yay!"

"But, but, milord!" Jaken protested, but Sesshomaru was already walking far off. "Wait, milord!"

Yuki stood stock-still, staring after the dog demon incredulously. Surely he hadn't meant that? Yuki started as Rin placed her hand in the half-demon's, tugging her along as she said happily: "Come on, Miss Yuki! We need to follow Lord Sesshomaru, or else he leaves us behind."