Chapter 40: So'unga

Ah~ those days when our love was so new

Innocent we were shy and confused

Rin was singing to herself again while swinging her legs as she sat atop A-Un, waiting. Sesshomaru hadn't moved in a while, staring into the distance, and Jaken sat a little impatiently beside his master as Rin sang.

"Will you be silent, Rin!" Jaken finally exploded, turning to flare severely at the little girl. "Must you always sing that infernal song?"

"But it's the song Yuki taught me!" Rin whined, and Jaken scolded: "I don't want to hear it!"

"Aw, I wish Yuki were back!" Rin complained, before turning to Sesshomaru as she asked: "Do you think she misses us too when she's gone, Lord Sesshomaru?"

"Would you stop asking such ridiculous questions and bothering Lord Sesshomaru, Rin?" Jaken scolded again, but Sesshomaru lifted his head to the sky and said abruptly: "She is coming."

"Huh?" Jaken blinked, looking at Sesshomaru, while Rin cheered: "Yay!"

Not long after, the half-demoness herself came running up, true to Sesshomaru's word.

"I'm back!" Yuki called, waving as she ran up after her latest visit to Inuyasha. "Rin, I missed you!"

"Yay!" Rin cheered again, delighted at having her question answered without needing to be asked, while Sesshomaru turned to look at Yuki.

"We are leaving." He stated.

And with that, he started to walk off again, and Jaken's jaw dropped while Yuki teased playfully: "Aw, and I just got back, too!"

"Are you tired, Yuki?" Rin questioned, but Yuki shook her head as she explained with a smile: "I was just teasing."

Jaken tuned them out as he thought to himself incredulously: 'I don't believe it! Did Lord Sesshomaru wait for Yuki's return to continue on his journey? Oh, why does he favour her so over me, his loyal servant for decades?'

Yuki strolled passed the frozen Jaken, unaware of his thoughts, and she caught up to Sesshomaru while Rin poked Jaken.

"Thank you, for not objecting to me going to see Inuyasha." Yuki told Sesshomaru as she walked with him, and he replied coolly: "I said you are free to do as you please."

"Yeah, but I know you don't really like it when I go see him." Yuki pointed out. "So, I want to let you know I appreciate you not saying anything about it when I do."

"Hm." Was his reply, and she laughed.

He glanced at her as she did, before he asked: "Why did you suddenly ask to go?"

Yuki looked at him in surprise, more at the fact that he'd asked than at the question. He rarely showed interest in anything, and especially anything related in any way to Inuyasha. Unfortunately, Yuki knew her response was going to kill any small shred of curiosity he genuinely had held in asking his query.

"Well, I wanted to catch up with Inuyasha." Yuki began slowly. It was true, she had used the time to get up to speed with Inuyasha (and vice-versa), which had included the surprising revelation that Kikyo was still alive, and that the Band of Seven were all destroyed as of the events following Mount Hakurei.

But that hadn't been all they'd talked about this time when Yuki had met up with her 'brother'.

Sesshomaru shot her a questioning look, sensing there was more, and Yuki sighed before she explained at last, quietly but honestly: "... It was the anniversary of Lady Izayoi's passing yesterday."