Chapter 37: The Women who Love Sesshomaru

Yuki's heart was pounding in her ears as she stared with mute horror up at Sesshomaru.

He appeared – for once – genuinely stunned as he stared at her, and if it had been any other circumstance, Yuki might have laughed and teased him.

As it was, she felt like doing neither; in fact, if she could, she wanted to run as far and fast as she could before hiding in a hole and not coming out for at least a hundred years. Maybe two.

As Sesshomaru stared at her, Yuki finally opened her mouth and got out: "I..."

But she paused and Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed as both of their heads turned slightly to the side, both of them picking up the strong scent coming from the West.

'Sara.' Yuki thought. And with her...

"Inuyasha!" Yuki gasped.

Sesshomaru abruptly turned and flew off, heading straight towards the scent, but Yuki hesitated. Did she want to go with Sesshomaru? And did he even want her to follow him?

Yuki shifted uneasily, before finally breaking into a run and leaping off... after Sesshomaru.

'After all', she told herself as she ran, 'at the very least I'd see Inuyasha again. And if...'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuki came to a skidding half behind Sesshomaru, just as Sara - who was now dressed in a green, female warrior's dress with a purple cape hanging from her armored shoulders – turned and saw them on the cliffside.

"Lord Sesshomaru!" Sara gasped from where she stood atop a large, black bird-like demon, while Inuyasha, Kagome and Shippo stood before the demoness on the edge of the rocky cliff. "Why are you here?"

But Yuki's attention was caught by what was in the demoness's hands, and her eyes widened as she saw the familiar black sheath that Sara wielded.

'Tetsusaiga!' She realized with horror. 'She took Tetsusaiga... and she can touch it, when no full-blooded demon should be able to.'

Never quite became a full demon.

Yuki glanced at Sesshomaru apprehensively as she recalled his words, biting her lip worriedly, but he simply continued to stare up at Sara with an unreadable expression on his face.

"Yuki?" Kagome called worriedly, while Inuyasha snarled: "So you were the one behind all this, Sesshomaru?!"

He started to run towards his elder brother, lifting his hand with his claws outstretched in anger and frustration.

"Iron Reaver Soul Stealer!"

Yuki flinched as Sesshomaru turned sharply to face his brother, the dog demon speeding forwards before anyone could even blink and catching his brother's hand in his own, poisonous one.

"Ugh!" Inuyasha hissed in pain from Sesshomaru's poison claws, his eyes shooting up to glare at the older dog demon - before he blinked at his brother in confusion.

Sesshomaru appeared irritated, no surprise... but also somewhat frustrated. If Inuyasha didn't know better, he'd say his half-brother might even be troubled.

"Sess-!" Yuki began in alarm as she saw Inuyasha's hand actually starting to melt, when Sara cried over her: "Lord Sesshomaru!"

Yuki winced as the demoness came flying down on her bird-beast, calling urgently to Sesshomaru: "Make sure he doesn't get away on me!"

Before the words had even finished leaving the woman's mouth, Sesshomaru abruptly let go of Inuyasha's wrist.

Shoving his brother to the side and causing Inuyasha to land on the ground with a grunt, Sesshomaru whirled around to face Sara before he released his poisonous gas right at her and her bird-beast.