Chapter Two {K} (EDITED)

Kennedy

I was absolutely not looking forward to the first day back at school. My last first day. At least it was the beginning of the end and soon enough I'd be free from dumbass homework and teachers. I have future responsibilities. I am going to become alpha of the pack some day. My father has been training me since the day I was born to be alpha. He's instilled in me the values and traits that are required of a good leader. And I hope that I can make him proud.

Contrary to popular belief, not all alphas are cold-hearted killers who don't smile and will maim anyone who pisses them off. My dad, for example, is a kind man, a man who feels deeply and cares for his pack. He is seen as a father figure to the pack and always offers a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on. In his words, that's what makes a great alpha. You have to be someone to depend on, someone who leads and guides and makes an effort to help people. I've learned a lot from him and I continue to learn on a daily basis.

As much as I believe I am like my father, at school I'm seen a little differently. The majority of the school consists of humans who are completely oblivious to the fact that I am a werewolf, an heir. Everyone just sees me as the star of the hockey team, an asshole-ish jock, Mr Perfect and the guy who wants to get with all the girls. One thing few people know about me is that I've got a fatal flaw, my bad temper, I can lose my shit in seconds. I blame the alpha genetics. My anger is a side that I don't want anyone to ever see. The vamps especially hate me, but they couldn't possibly hate me as much as I hate them. Disgusting creatures.

It feels like nobody in the school truly knows the real me, except for a handful of my pack members and closest friends. I accepted a long time ago that I was seen as a bit of an asshole, but maybe that was for the best. Because honestly, I don't want people to know the real me. The me who loves fiercely, who plays with little kids, helps elders...the me who's never even slept with or kissed anyone because I'm waiting for my mate.

...

"Kennedy, come eat quickly, you're running late," our chef fussed as I walked into the kitchen. I smiled lightly then sat down next to my dad.

"So, son, you excited for your last first day?" My dad asked after taking a sip of his water.

"I'm not excited to go back to school, but I am excited that it's my last year. I can't wait to be free of schoolwork so I can start focusing wholeheartedly on the pack." He nodded softly then gave me a smile.

"Son, I am only forty," he chuckled, "I'm not stepping down any time soon. I know I've been preparing you to take my place but there's still so much time. You can afford to just relax after school or maybe even go to college-"

"College isn't for me, dad. It's never been. I want to stay here," I said and he sighed.

"Bub, I'd prefer it if you didn't interrupt me, but I guess we could have this conversation at a different time." I mumbled an apology and we began eating in a comfortable silence. After a few moments, my dad spoke up again.

"There is actually another thing we need to talk about..." I lifted my head to look at him, giving him my full attention. "Kenny, you're almost eighteen and usually by now wolves have already found their mate. You haven't and I'm just concerned that maybe you're so focused on being here that you're not venturing out. She may not even be here in Denver, or this state for that matter. I want you to live a little, son, go out and find her." I sighed and put down my fork.

"Dad, I'm happy with the way that I'm living my life. And trust me, I've been looking. I want to find her too, I crave it, my wolf craves it. But I believe that it should happen naturally, by chance. I can't just travel the world, hoping I'll find her," I said with an underlying tone of sadness in my voice. It was my dad's turn to sigh.