Chapter Sixteen {K}

Kennedy

I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes but I tried my absolute best to keep them at bay. After talking to Demi, I didn't even bother with showering, I just wanted to get home as fast as I could. I pushed past the crowd of half-naked hockey players until I got to my locker.

"Kennedy?" It was Romeo.

"Rome, I have to go." I said while grabbing my duffel bag. He followed me out of the room and through the door and once we were in the hallway he caught me by the shoulder and forced me to turn around. My hand aggressively wiped at my cheeks as the tears in my eyes that were threatening to spill over the edge had finally made their way down my face.

"Kenny, what's going on? What happened to you?" I shook my head and shut my eyes closed, refusing to rehash what had just happened.

"Ken, you're scaring me."

"It's over. I'm not gonna talk to him again! I won't because he doesn't want me to!" I cried out and he frowned.

"What?"

"I'm... we're...I-I have to go!"

"Kennedy, wait!" But I was gone.

...

My head hit my steering wheel, thankfully not hard enough to press the hooter. In the sanctuary of my car I let everything out. I sobbed so hard that it hurt. My head, my heart, everything hurt. Today's events replayed in my mind. I'll never forget what it feels like to hold him in my arms for the first, but probably the last, time. He's so small and all I want to do is hold him and never let go and run away to a place where no one is homophobic or judgmental and there's no vampires or werewolves who hate one another. All I want to do is be with him.

A new wave of tears flooded my vision at my internal confession. I never thought I'd ever welcome the idea of being with another guy but he's not just some guy. I want him so badly that it pains me physically and emotionally. I don't even want him just because he's my mate anymore. He's beautiful and intelligent and feisty and sarcastic and he drives me nuts but he's him. And today I committed to leaving him alone. It feels like I've really lost him forever.

This fucking sucks...so much.

...

New Text From: Rome🐺

Hey Ken, you left me feeling very worried after you left in a rush earlier. Did something happen with Dmitry? He's not good for you and you know it Ken. Hope you're okay <3

I tossed my phone on my bed, feeling way too drained to respond to Romeo. Ever since I learned that Dmitry is my mate, I haven't been the greatest friend to Romeo and the guilt is starting to eat away at me.

Maybe Romeo is right and Dmitry isn't good for me. We do argue all the time but that's probably because we got off to such a rough start at the beginning of the semester. And the only person to blame for that is me. Dmitry's right, our kind are enemies, but our relationship never needed to get to this point.

"Kenny? I'm home." My dad's voice suddenly echoed throughout the practically empty house. It's times like these where I really need Killian, my older brother, by my side to give me advice and to just be my rock. It gets unbelievably lonely here without him.

My door opened fo reveal my dad, he looked very disheveled and exhausted.

"Long day?" He nodded simply and I hummed.

"Me too," I said. Kaine Keller walked over to my bed where I lay, leaned against the headboard, and plopped down next to me.

"Something's bothering you, I can practically smell the sadness. That and there's quite obviously dried up tear tracks on your cheeks." My dad frowned deeply as he examined my face, the face that I inherited from him. I sighed then leaned into the comforting warmth of my dad.