Chapter Nine {D}

Dmitry

No. No you can't. But I can.

An annoyed scoff left my lips as I stared at the ceiling of my bedroom. Just another opportunity for Kennedy to display how worthless and poor I am and how wealthy and privileged he is. Of course he can go out and buy new skates likes it's nothing. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful and as much as their harsh words pissed me off, him and his friends were right. My skates are old and shitty so therefore I definitely needed new ones. But man did I never expect to just be given a new pair by Kennedy Keller of all people. My family may not be well-off but I hate the fact that Kennedy made me feel like a charity-case.

The skates are practically brand-new. The blades are sharp and so polished that I can almost see my reflection in them clear as day. I also think it's a nice touch that they have accents of red and black on them to match the school colours. It's kind of strange that a school with the word 'forest' in the name has red as it's main colour. You'd think it would be green.

My sapphire eyes closed as I pictured myself skating on the ice. Never in my life have I owned such a pristine pair of skates. Thankfully after Kennedy's 'generous' donation, him and his minions left me in peace. I couldn't resist trying them on but only did it since I was alone. It would be so embarrassing if he watched me. Kennedy is noticeably taller than me, so when he declared that the skates were now mine, I knew they would be too big. And truth be told, they are, but it's nothing a pair of thick socks can't fix

I raced around the rink, getting a feel for the footwear. It felt like I was floating. When I came to an abrupt stop, a grin found its way onto my face. I knew then that with these skates, I'd kill it in the try-outs. If Kennedy is hoping I don't make it on the team, I think he's just bit himself in the ass.

When I got home from the rink, it was late, maybe ten. My parents were fast asleep, obviously not concerned for their son who was out at night. Thankfully no one was up to see my new ice skates. I know that if anyone saw, they'd question the shit out of me, probably accuse me of stealing. No one would believe me if I told them that Kennedy fucking Keller gave them to me. But it's not like I'd mention his name anyway. He's a wolf after all.

My bottle of body spray was basically empty after I gave the skates a heavy spray to mask Kennedy's scent. I then shoved them in the back of my closet where hopefully no one would snoop.

...

"...son? Dmitry, wake up."

Today, the smooth voice of Alexander Petrov was my alarm.

"Papa? What's wrong?" Usually by the time I wake up, my dad is already busy working. Oh God, not again. Please no, we can't leave. Please tell me he still has a job! I sat up swiftly, anxiously awaiting his response.

"There's nothing wrong-"

"Then why aren't you working?" He could sense the panic in my voice so he held his warm left hand over my shin. His icy eyes shrank ever so slightly as he offered a gentle smile.

"Nothing is wrong and I am not working because I got given the day off. They're pleased with my work ethic." My tense shoulders sagged in relief. My father works harder than probably any man out there. It breaks my heart how he has to bust his ass for us. When will my dad be free?

"Okay, well, that's good. You deserve it." Another smile from him but it was soon replaced by a frown.

"There is something I want to address before you go to school." He leaned over to retrieve something. My rusty, shitty, old skates. "What happened here?" Fuck! Of course I hid the new ones but left the broken ones out in the open.