Chapter Thirteen {D}

Dmitry

After years and years of struggling and drinking lower quality blood, I honestly thought that something like this would've happened sooner. It's strange, I was just peachy during the classes that proceeded lunch and I had started off strong with the push ups, despite my lack of grip on the ice. The sudden feeling of complete and utter weakness and nausea hit me like a brick to the face.

Two things that happened today did not make sense to me. If the blood was so compromised, why did it actually taste and smell good? And why the fuck did Kennedy stick around after the whole fiasco? I really don't understand him.

When I got home from school, I practically ripped my clothes off, lingering frustration from my millionth argument with Kennedy still burning within me. I didn't even bother showering since I hardly did anything at 'practice'. My hockey pants and hoodie were replaced by plaid pyjama pants and a crew neck. I stared longingly at my duffel bag for a moment, remembering the curious case of where the fuck my shirt went. How does he pick up all of my shit except my shirt?

My thoughts were interrupted by the door opening. Nikita.

"Hey," he greeted and I simply smiled.

"You're home earlier than I expected," he said and I nodded then sighed. I gave him a once-over and noticed that he looked paler than usual and he had dark circles under his cool blue eyes.

"You too?" I simply asked and he frowned.

"What?" He sat down next to me and I examined him once more.

"You got sick too?" His eyes widened at my question.

"Wait you also got sick?" I nodded and he shook his head in annoyance.

"Pup, I'm so sorry. I remember refrigerating it but it must've already been compromised."

"Where'd you get it? Actually, where do you get any of the blood that you feed me because I sure as hell know that it's not from the clan kitchen." I gave him a look of suspicion and he sighed.

"I may have found a supplier." My mouth dropped open at his words.

"No wait. Don't make it sound like some kind of drug deal! He's a nice guy, one of the friendliest vamps I've ever met. I met him at a thrift store. He gives me free blood in exchange for Russian lessons." I had no words. So that's where Nikki goes in his spare time.

"The girl he likes is Russian and he wants to impress her. It's not weird! Stop making it weird!" He was getting defensive and all I could do was laugh and shove him playfully.

"Well from now on, we're eating with the clan," I said and he scoffed.

"Yeah. Maybe that's for the best."

...

After my whole 'getting sick in the middle of practice' situation, coach had excused me from the next practice which just so happened to be the very next day. It's a blessing in disguise that I was excused because I probably would've missed it anyway. Not having a phone has made it extremely difficult to attend practices since I never know when they are. I also don't have any friends who can give me a heads up in person. It's beyond me how we can't just settle on set days of a week to practice.

Monday was the day I got sick. Tuesday was the practice that I was excused from. Thursday was some kind of last minute decision that I hadn't known about and apparently every second Saturday is a practice day too, which I obviously hadn't known about either! If I keep this up, I'll be off the team before I even get to play my first game.

...

"Coach, I'm so sorry I'm late! I didn't realise we had practice today!" I rushed out as I hurried onto the ice.