Chapter Twenty Five {D}

Dmitry

Kennedy fucking Keller asked me on a date.

Neither of us have been on a date before.

It's our very first date as individuals, and we're sharing that with one another.

The coziness and warmth of cuddling with Kennedy brings a greater sense of comfort and contentment that no blanket or pillow could ever bring. Cuddling with Kennedy is my new favourite thing to do. After we almost kissed, things were awkward, there's no denying that, and I personally felt the need to create distance between us. You don't almost kiss your ex-enemy turned friend who's also a rival species and be all hunky-dory afterwards. I'll admit I was being aloof.

I didn't lie when I said that I was cold, in the moment my impulsive decision to crawl into Kennedy's sleeping bag oddly left me feeling at peace and satisfied. It was a courageous move, one that I never knew I was capable of making due to my own inhibitions and doubts. But the tense awkwardness of us just laying there had to tarnished. Because the more our almost-kiss moment replayed in my head, the more I realised that Kennedy and I have come too far to have everything be broken down because of his best friend interrupting us.

There is a part of me that is kicking myself for instigating cuddle sessions and hinting at date proposals because I know that this is all temporary. Once Kennedy finds his mate, I'll be yesterday's news. But there's also the part of me who wants to savour every moment with him and jump for joy knowing that Kennedy fucking Keller likes me in the same way that I like him.

After Kennedy's proposal, a sense of giddiness flooded our insides. The entire day we couldn't even look at each other without blushing or smiling like two little kids who have adorable crushes on one another. All of this is so new to me and whenever I enter the realm of the unknown, I tend to close up and freak out, but then I remember that Kennedy is new to this too, and we're in it together.

I just really hope that I don't fall too hard. Seeing Kennedy with a mate some day would be too unbearable for me to handle.

...

This morning I woke up cocooned in Kennedy's sleeping bag and blankets but a frown etched itself onto my face upon realising that he wasn't there. Waking up to an empty bed after cuddling with someone really fucking sucks. This wasn't a feeling I was familiar with until now.

The tiny air bubbles between my joints popped as I stretched out my spine. Sitting there on the mat, something felt off like there was something missing and it wasn't just that Kennedy was gone. A feeling of uneasiness crept up my neck but I shook it off, burying the paranoid thoughts in the deep archives of my brain. The ideas in my head weren't at the forefront anymore, but they remained in my mind, causing me to be alert and heedful of myself and my surroundings.

I stood up from the mat then moved towards the entrance of the tent; it was halfway zipped up. I pulled the zip until it was completely open then stuck my head out.

"Hey, Kennedy- ah!!!" My skin sizzled as it came in contact with the insolation from the sun. I jumped back into the tent like a child's hand retracting due to their mother reprimanding them after touching a forbidden object. My shaky hands found their way to my face where they felt welts and blisters along my skin. My left hand then swiftly dropped to my neck as dread came over me.

"My necklace..."

"Looking for this?" A figure suddenly appeared just outside the tent and I had to duck to see them. It was Jude, swinging my chain around on his index finger while smirking. I gulped and my blood turned to ice. The scorched skin on my face tingled and I swallowed the urge to hide myself from Jude. But at least the tingling sensation indicated that I was healing.