Chapter Thirty One {D}

Dmitry

"Demi, will you go to Winter dance with me?"

In that moment, it felt as though some sort of warlock had frozen time, allowing me to weigh up the pros and the cons of what Kennedy was proposing. Up until now, our friendship, our relationship has been kept a secret and by saying 'yes' we'd announce it to the whole world that we're together. I thought we didn't want that. So the obvious answer would be to say 'no', but that would fucking suck because Kennedy's my first relationship and this will be my first dance and obviously I want to go with him.

So maybe I'd ought to say yes, because fuck it! We've been through hell and back and we deserve to have a good time as boyfriends. The amount of growth that Kennedy has gone through since I've known him is stupendous. For him, King Kennedy: resident(supposed) ladies-man that everyone adores, to disregard people's existing connotations surrounding him to take his vampire boyfriend to the dance is more heartwarming and admirable than I can ever begin to describe.

"I-I thought we were keeping this a secret...w-what if your dad finds out?"

"Demi, at what point do things change for us? My dad thinks you're a human and yeah, maybe he'll be a little shocked that I'm taking a boy, but that doesn't matter. Fuck everyone else, fuck what they think! Things need to change and you and I are the catalysts. Let's have a good time," Kennedy said, a pleading glint in his eyes. I fought a smile then nodded firmly.

"Okay, yeah. Fuck everyone else and what they think!" I exclaimed then laughed. Kennedy grinned then leaned forward, my lips meeting his briefly.

"It will be a night we'll never forget."

...

When I got home, I was greeted by Nikita sitting at the dining room table, reading. He looked up as I walked through the door and he half smiled.

"Hey, where've you been?" He queried while marking his page in the book with a mini drawing I had done for him when I was little. He's kept it all these years.

"I was studying with a friend."

"It's not the wolf is if? The one on your hockey team?"

"Uh, no, not him." I gave him a tight-lipped smile then dropped my backpack on the floor next to the coat rack. I then moved to join my older brother at the table.

"You look like you want to talk about something." Nikita Petrov is extremely adept at reading my emotions.

"I guess I do. When you said wolf, it reminded me of something. I want your opinion on this."

"Alright, go ahead."

"Well last night I was on patrol and I saw something really disturbing..." Be careful, Dem, be very careful.

"What was it?" Nikki asked while taking a sip from a mug, successfully leaving behind a ruby-red moustache on his upper lip. Sensing my eyes on the blood, his tongue swiped over it to clear it away.

"I saw a wolf...in a trap. Terry and other vamps were there. They trapped the wolf and were torturing it."

"Are you sure?" His flawless, black eyebrow quirked at my words.

"Yeah, positive. Is that allowed? Surely not," I said and Nikki's face morphed into an expression of thought.

"I wouldn't think so. Our kinds are forbidden to engage in physical violence with one another. Laying traps is absurd, especially since wolves don't come onto our territory. Why was a wolf here in the first place?"

"I don't know, they must've been lost." I'm getting really good at lying. "Terry said they were testing it out, but why would they test it on our territory where it's highly unlikely that any wolf would be here?" The more I voiced my concerns on it, the more the situation didn't make sense. Did something draw Kennedy to the trap? Some kind of high frequency or scent that only a wolf could smell?"