Chapter Thirty Three {D}

Dmitry

They say that sometimes the best decisions are the hardest to make. But 'hard' does not begin to describe this feeling. This isn't just hard, breaking up with and walking away from Kennedy was fucking soul-destroying.

I stopped fifty or so metres from our house then dropped to my knees and screamed. An immense pressure built up in my head from the intensity of my wails. I screamed until I couldn't breathe then sobbed until my head ached. Every tear and every breathe a symbol of my heartbreak.

My forehead hit the snow, blasting an immediate pain throughout my skull from the freezing temperature. But I couldn't bring myself to give a fuck.

The sounds of crunching footsteps came my way and suddenly a warm body was right there beside me, kneeling down and wrapping arms around me to pull me up from the ice.

They didn't say a word as they lifted me from the ground and carried my shivering, crumpled form from where I was in the snow to inside. My eyes were shut as I cried but I knew, I knew by his smell, by his presence. Nikita.

A door closed behind us and I opened my eyes just as he lowered me to his bed. By now, my tears had slowed and my chest didn't ache as much as it did when I was screaming. Nikita just stared at me with those intense, icy eyes then sat down next to me.

"Oh, pup," he whispered and a choked whimper escaped my lips before I pushed myself into his arms, the sluice gates opened once more.

"I don't know what to do, Nikki! My whole world has crumbled to the ground," I weeped and he gingerly rubbed up and down my back.

"Our dad isn't our dad and our mom's a cheater and I'm a werewolf's mate and now I don't have a boyfriend anymore and fuck!" He pulled me closer, his right hand finding my hair.

"I know, baby brother, it's messed up. But we'll get through this. You're so strong, pup, you've always pushed through, no matter what."

We remained in an embrace for I don't know how long before I eventually pulled away.

"You're not mad at me are you?" I asked softly before sniffling.

"Why would I be mad?"

"Because I've been dating the werewolf who gave me shit at the beginning of the semester," I said sheepishly and he sighed whilst brushing away some of my stray tears.

"I think once upon a time I would've been. I was adamant when I said to stay away from wolves, to stay away from him. But I realised that you're your own person and you need to figure things out for yourself. If you trust a werewolf then I trust you. And I don't think you'd be so upset if he didn't mean everything to you. And I know you, pup, you don't give people the time of day unless they treat you well and make you truly happy." My bottom lip quivered at his words.

"I love him, Nikki. I really do. We haven't been together long, not at all, but I've known him for months and I just...I just love him," I whispered and he smiled sadly then took my hands in his.

"It's not easy to see your baby brother be in love, and it's even harder to see them heartbroken. I know he hurt you in some way. I heard that you're his mate and he kept that from you, and I'm pissed that he did, but I believe that if you guys are truly meant to be, things will work out." I wanted to shake my head at that and deny his words profusely. Kennedy and I will never work out, as long as I'm a vampire and he's a werewolf.

At my lack of a response, Nikki moved to lay down then gently pulled me so that I lay snuggled in his arms. We didn't speak for a little while until Nikki broke the silence.

"I think I remember him."

"Who?"

"Mika." I stirred at the sound of his name but stayed quiet as a way to let Nikita know that I wanted him to continue.