Chapter Fourteen {K}

Kennedy

If I could compare Dmitry to one thing, it would be a parasite. It's like he's slithered into my brain and infected me, completely invading my thoughts and influencing my actions.

Last night I went and visited him again and it was significantly less risky since he wasn't on vamp territory, but at the waterfall. It's the full moon, it takes your deepest desires and brings them to fruition. I guess my deepest desire is Dmitry. Fuck! The pull of the full moon is a sensation like no other, it possesses you.

Dmitry showed me a side to him that I've never seen before when he welcomed me, a wolf, into his very small world. Thankfully he doesn't suspect that I'm a werewolf but merely a rogue wolf, running from their pack. He showed weariness but no fear, he petted me for fuck's sake. He showed me that behind his reserved and feisty nature, he's capable of so much kindness and maybe even love? Last night I became his first American friend, but not as Kennedy the werewolf but rather as Domovoy the wolf.

I'm playing a very dangerous game.

Besides the little rendezvous by the waterfall I gave the fucker a phone! He made a good point about me having a perfect opportunity to get him off of the team, but fuck, I gave him practically brand new skates and then went and bought new ones for myself, so he better damn right use them. And come on, it's fucking ludicrous that a seventeen year old doesn't have a cellphone.

Giving him a phone was pretty simple actually, although it did royally piss off my dad...

"What do you mean you lost your phone? You've only had it for a three months! God, Ken, first your skates and now your phone?! Do you think I'm made of money?" He yelled so loud I swear the whole country heard him.

"I know, dad, I'm sorry. I swear I only took my eyes off of it for like a second! Someone must've stolen it!" I should seriously consider acting.

"Fuck, I knew I should've insured your phone! You lose this next one, you can dig up a BlackBerry from 2012 in the junk draw for all I care." And his credit card was as good as mine.

Easy peasy. I get a brand new phone and Demi gets his first one which is, may I add, also practically brand new.

My brain is a confused mess. I don't understand why I've helped him. I hated him and now I don't think I do anymore. So do I care for him? Do I want to care for him? Not really. But...I think I do. I should never have helped him; never given him the skates, never waited to see if he was okay after collapsing, never offered to tutor him again, never given him my phone...But I did and deep down it feels good to know that I've made his experience here easier. I can see how important hockey and his education is to him.

No matter how hard I try and suppress thoughts of him or try to stay away from him, I end up just doing shit that'll make me think of him and be around him even more.

I sighed and looked down at my new phone, skimming over coach's messages from the group chat. Dmitry's scent still lingered in the air as I walked away from the oak tree and around a corner. I opened my Message app and hit the little plus icon to start a new chat. My thumb scrolled to 'D' and I found the name I was looking for. Demi🦇 Yes, after setting up his phone, I may have added his (my old) number to my new phone. It's not weird. My fingers tapped the screen swiftly.

To Demi🦇:
Looks like our study session just got rescheduled for this afternoon.

I hit 'send' then immediately cringed. Oh, God, I hope that that didn't come across as suggestive. I'm really shooting myself in the foot.