Chapter Nineteen {D}

Dmitry

A little over a month ago when I met Kennedy for the first time, I swore to myself that I didn't want anything to do with him. Now? I want to know everything.

After every encounter with him, I'm left feeling intrigued by him. He's hot-headed and he likes to push buttons and stir the pot, but he's also sweet and generous. Then there's the fake side to him: Mr Perfect. King Kennedy. After all the alarming things he's said to me, the words he uttered in the car on the way to the pizza place alarmed me the most; to be honest with you. I don't feel like crying my eyes out.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Kennedy's more than normal hatred for vampires obviously stems from his father, and I want to know why that is. And why would he feel the urge to cry explaining that?

I gazed over to Kennedy who sat on the other end of the table. He was engaged in a conversation with some guy who I don't even know the name of. He broke eye contact with the dude then suddenly looked in my direction. He smiled softly and I returned it. A sudden lightness took over my body at a realisation. Kennedy hates vampires with every fibre of his body, yet he's turned the page with me.

What makes me so special?

This whole situation between us feels like it should be in a novel, but in this day and age our story would most probably be adapted into a movie. In that moment I remembered Kennedy's proposal to watch movies with him and the redness that painted my cheeks earlier returned. If you told me a few weeks ago that I'd be excited by the idea of watching movies with Kennedy, I would've laughed in your face. And I don't laugh very often.

At some point during the night, Kennedy and Romeo disappeared from the table. Things seemed pretty heated. Regardless of where they were in the vicinity of the restaurant, I'd be able to eavesdrop on their conversation right from where I sat. But I decided against it. It's none of my business anyway.

Seeing as Kennedy wasn't there to stop me, I decided to leave. I did in fact get out of my comfort zone. I sat in front of grotesque pizza while making small talk with people who probably don't even know my name. I think I've earned the right to go home early.

"Hey, Vincent, I'm heading home," I said to him, seeing as he sat right next to me.

"So early?" He frowned and I nodded.

"Yeah, I haven't eaten since yesterday so my energy's getting pretty low. Plus, I didn't really want to be here in the first place."

"Alright. But just know, Dmitry, being a part of this team means making sacrifices."

"I know."

"Good. Now go and eat, and make sure it's not that hobo shit your brother fed you." I scoffed then shook my head.

"Of course. I don't want a repeat of what happened." He gave me a tight-lipped smile as I stood up to leave. Over the course of my time in the States, Vincent has become less and less of an asshole as the days go by. The Vincent I met a few months ago is not the same Vincent who invited me to sit next to him tonight.

I now had three options of getting home. One: fly, two: super speed or three: walk. Fall is in full swing making it freezing during the night time, and looking down at my hoodie I know that I wasn't dressed to face the icy temperatures. However, when I told Vincent that I had hardly eaten, I wasn't lying. My fuel tank was empty and God knows that if I tried to exert energy by flying or running, I'd pass out. And falling from the sky mid flight does not sound like a fun idea whatsoever.

So I walked, trying my best to enjoy the evening instead of thinking about how it felt like my fingers and toes were about to fall off. Denver Autumns are brutal, I can't imagine how cold Winter's going to be.