Chapter Eighteen {K}

Kennedy

Tonight I am on cloud nine.

My team and I won the first game of the season. It's a good feeling to know that we won, but an even better feeling to know that it was Demi and I who brought it home.

Maybe I was being unfair by threatening his position on the team to get him to celebrate with us, but tradition is tradition. And since I've established that I do in fact cafe for him, I want what's best for him so that means getting him out of his shell a little bit. He's like a hermit crab, one that doesn't grow so he remains in his little shell where he feels comfortable.

He needs to realise that the only way to grow is to be uncomfortable.

I looked over at him from where I stood amongst a group of teammates and classmates. After games I'm usually caught up in a whirlwind of praise by people who I hardly even know. It gets overwhelming and is almost always a guaranteed thing, regardless of whether or not we win.

Dmitry stood a few metres away with two men. It doesn't take a genius to see that they're clearly his father and brother. They've all got the same obsidian hair and icy-blue eyes, the same milky complexion and delicate features. Demi definitely takes after his father, he seems to have inherited practically everything, well, except for his height. Both his father and presumed brother tower over him.

I frowned upon noticing that they kept on glancing my way. I'd listen to their conversation but I can't, unfortunately, understand Russian. His brother kept giving me particularly dirty looks. He is the more mature version of Dmitry. Beautiful in his own way but does not touch Demi in terms of looks. No one is more stunning than him.

I know deep inside that it's not good nor polite to overstep my boundaries when it comes to other people's family matters, but the pizza party would not wait for anyone. So I took my chances.

"Demi, we gotta go! We gotta shower so we can head out. Captain's orders remember?" I pointed to myself, emphasising that I am his captain and that he needs to get his ass to the showers. Demi seemed to shrink at my words and under the heated glares of his family members. They were pissed off at something, I just couldn't tell what. My eyes found Dmitry's and they held an expression that I could read from a mile away. Fear. And I have a feeling I was about to find out why.

Demi's brother stormed over towards me. If it weren't for that fact that the rink was still filled with people, he would've used his vampire speed, no doubt about it. I removed myself from the group of people and met him in the middle.

"You. You're the asshole who's been giving my brother trouble." His accent is thick, even thicker than Demi's and his voice is a few octaves lower.

"Why don't we be mature and introduce ourselves? I'm Kennedy-"

"And I'm going to break your fucking neck."

"Nikki!" Demi rushed over and grabbed his arm.

"This is the one who punched you? Who splashed you with water? Pathetic wolf can't keep his doggy nose in his own business!" Nikki snapped.

"Nikita," their father warned firmly then cast his gaze onto me.

"What's this I hear about punching? Are you hurting my son? Because I'm pretty certain that physical violence is forbidden between our species?" The man questioned and I felt the urge to swallow anxiously but refrained.

"Papa, it was nothing. It was just a small incident," Demi said desperately.

"I want to hear what he has to say, pup," his brother said through gritted teeth.