Chapter Twenty One {D}

Dmitry

Heavy.

It's the best way to describe the atmosphere when a person you once called an asshole sobs his heart out in front of his mother's grave. It's the best way to describe how I felt while I watched him, while I held him.

Kyla clearly meant everything to Kennedy, and no it's not something that's obvious because not all children have good relationships with their mothers. I can empathise with Kennedy because I know how much I love my own mother and just thinking about losing her terrifies the fuck out of me.

Kennedy is like an onion and everyday I get to know him, a layer peels off, revealing new characteristics, new emotions and new weaknesses. It's such a shame, really, that the wannabes we call classmates don't know the real Kennedy. They haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to getting to know the werewolf.

The more I get to know Kennedy, the more I regret the malicious thoughts I had against him, and that surprises the shit out of me because I was so bloody convinced that he was the bane of my existence. And now I see him as an adorable, emotional goof. He's a puppy. He's my puppy.

Thank God werewolves can't read minds.

"So can I just drop you off at the border?" Kennedy's voice suddenly broke me from my stupor as he gazed over at me from the driver's seat.

"Um, yeah, that'll be great. Thanks," I said and he nodded. I took advantage of the fact that he was now lazar-focused on the icy road ahead and stared at his side profile. His olive complexion had reddened from a combination of the cold and the crying. There were tear tracks of salt on his cheeks, left behind like the skid marks of the tyres of a car doing burnouts on asphalt and he continued to sniffle due to the mucus that had loosened as a result of his tears.

My eyes then wandered down to his right hand that held the gear shifter firmly, ready to shift up or down at any point. Without much thought, I reached with my left hand and placed it over his right like a blanket over a small child. His hands are larger than mine, so my fingers and palm couldn't even cover his whole hand. I then looked up and found him looking at me with a soft smile before turning his attention back on the road.

When he shifted to a lower gear as the car slowed, my hand moved with it. A giddy smile found its way onto my lips at the sensation. It felt as though I was driving, as though I was in control and I thought for a moment, now that we're friends, maybe he can teach me to drive after all.

"You ever going to teach me how to drive? Like you said?" I asked smugly and he snorted.

"Sure, but you have to get your learner's permit first."

"How do I do that?"

"I'll help you." We drove in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before he braked to a stop next to the grand gates of the clan's territory.

"Thanks for dropping me," I said and he smiled.

"Thanks for coming with me. You have no idea how much that meant to me." I took his hand in mine, properly this time, and his larger hand smothered mine like a baseball glove.

"I'm glad that I was there with you and for you. It meant a lot to me too," I said and before I knew it, he was reaching over the centre console, arms stretched out. A hug. I moved forward and wrapped my arms around him. I've never been one for a lot of physical contact with anyone besides my family, but, God, did it feel phenomenal to hug Kennedy.

"Bye, puppy," I said as we pulled away.

"Bye, Demi. See you at school."

I'll see you in my dreams.