Chapter Seventeen {D}

Dmitry

Kennedy chuckled, and for a moment I felt the strong urge to follow suit. So I allowed myself to let out the tiniest fragment of a laugh, just a taste. My face continued to burn and the mere thought of any kind of visible redness on my cheeks makes me want to die on the spot. He stopped laughing then shook his head, a small smile upon his lips.

"Sorry, that was cringey and I shouldn't have asked. Baby steps." I don't think it was cringey at all, in fact I thought it was kind of cute. I am blushing aren't I?

"It's fine. You're just being the same old moron that I've come to know," I teased and he looked at me with feigned offence. He took a French fry from his tray and threw it at me, causing me to gag slightly. His face then morphed into a look of worry and confusion.

"What's wrong?" He fretted.

"Sorry, it's just human food freaks the fuck out of me." I grimaced then shook the fry off of my lap, where it had landed. He then burst out laughing, the kind of loud cackles that could be heard from space. I'd never seen him like that before and honestly? It was kind of nice to watch. Everyone else in the room must've thought so too because all of their eyes were on him.

I gave him the meanest scowl I could muster but he continued to wheeze while clutching his stomach.

"I'm sorry but that's too funny!"

"Oh, fuck off, Kennedy. I knew coming to you was a mistake," I grumbled then stood up. My words may have sounded harsh but in reality, I was actually trying to suppress a smile.

"If I put ketchup on it, would that make it better? It looks like blood right?" He was beginning to calm down, trying his best to catch his breath. I then flipped him off and started to walk away.

"See you in class!" I could hear the smile on his lips and I shook my head. That boy is really something else.

I can't tell you my exact reasonings for talking to Kennedy and basically telling him that I don't want him to be out of my life completely. Because I don't really know why either. Kennedy's words rang through my head the whole of yesterday as well as this morning. I barely slept last night. The more I repeated his words over and over, the more I agreed with them. Why is it that we've been sucked into this black hole together and why can we not crawl out of it?

All I know for certain is that Kennedy confuses me. How can he make me feel like I want to kill him and want to hug him at the same time? I know deep down that it is best for both of us to permanently go our separate ways yet there's also this gut feeling inside telling me that we're meant to be around one another.

But why?

I've made the decision to keep him in my life somehow, and maybe that will be the biggest mistake I'll ever make in my life, but maybe it won't. One thing I know for certain is that I need to tread carefully and to find out once and for all why Kennedy was drawn to me on the first day of school.

...

"Ow! What the fuck?" The loud crashing sound of my body banging against my locker echoed throughout the empty hallway. All I was doing was minding my own fucking business and the next thing I know, I've been slammed into my locker.

"Shoving you around is fun," Jude said with a devilish grin and on their own accord, my fangs came out to play.

"What the fuck is your problem, Jude?" I hissed and his grin turned into a scowl in an instant.

"My problem? My problem is you. My problem is that there's this fucking disgusting vampire who's fucking up my friendship with Kennedy," he snarled. I peered into his mouth and found his canines were out too.