Chapter Seven {D}

Dmitry

He really thinks I'm lonely and depressed? He's even more dim-witted than I thought. I'm kind of sick and tired of people assuming that just because you don't socialise, you're depressed and weird. I choose to be alone. I don't need empty friendships.

The bell rang as soon as we had finished our little presentation. I rushed back to my desk and packed up my stuff in a haste, haphazardly throwing my dirty brushes in a cup of water by the sink. Every time our eyes met, we glared as though we were trying to murder each other with our eyes.

We'd been doing so well. Two weeks have gone by and we left each other alone. I never spared him a glance once, and after two weeks of peace, I can comfortably say I didn't miss his forest-green eyes boring into mine all the time.

I was finally able to just focus and stay out of trouble. Until Miss Williams had to go and fuck all of that up. She really had to ruin my art lesson by making me paint his stupid face. But as much as I was pissed off and a little flabbergasted, I've always been a sucker for obeying my teachers. If I was forced to paint my new enemy's face, then I was going to do it well god-damnit!

I am a little surprised at myself though. I wasn't the usual cold Dmitry that Kennedy was used to, but rather a cheeky one. It is satisfying to know that I got under his skin and into his head. I could tell he was trying really hard not to acknowledge me even though the assignment was to literally paint my face. But there is one moment that I can't get out of my head. The expression of shock when I hinted at my past.

I don't know why I brought it up. Maybe it's because I wanted him to feel bad for hitting me. The mood changed drastically after that. I regret letting it out because he doesn't deserve the satisfaction of knowing that I have a weakness. But I can't take it back. I just really hope he doesn't hit me again. Knowing him, though, I think that's a lot to ask.

No promises.

I was on my way out of the classroom, still stuck in my thoughts when I felt my wrist being grabbed. I was pulled to the side, out of the way of exiting students.

"What the fuck was that?"

"Kennedy, we've avoided each other for two weeks now. We had one little assignment and it's over, so let's just go our separate ways again." I began to walk away but my wrist was imprisoned once again. I hate it when he touches me, it's so violent.

"Answer my fucking question, bat! I think you enjoyed that assignment because it gave you a perfect opportunity to embarrass me. Why the fuck would you do that, huh? Ripping on my anger like that!" He was fuming and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Are you kidding me? You did the same shit to me! Lonely, cold-hearted, depressed, you're just as bad!"

"No, no it's not the same. The difference between you and I is that everyone here knows you're lonely and depressed. You stick out like a sore thumb sitting alone in the cafeteria. Me? I'm popular and likeable and people see me as kind, not angry!"

"Well the king's people deserve to know who their king really is. And here's the real difference between you and I, Kennedy. I choose to be alone because I don't need friends to be happy and feel validated. You can't help but lose your temper and I find that so hilarious. You're not who everyone thinks you are. And I'll say it again, I'm not responsible for people's perception of you. Keep your image clean on your own." That time when I walked away, he didn't stop me.

...

ICE HOCKEY TEAM TRY-OUTS THIS FRIDAY! LIMITED SPOTS!
Bring your own gear!
Place: the rink
Time: 16:00

When I was six years old, I received my first hockey stick, helmet and pads for Christmas. My dad worked his ass off to afford them second-hand. When he was young, he played ice hockey back in Russia and it was his dream to go to the Olympics. But then he met my mom, they fell in love and Nikki came along. So he gave up on that dream.