Chapter Eleven {D}

Dmitry

I've always hated my name. Dmitry. Every time the word comes out of someone's mouth I internally cringe because it feels like they're addressing some fifty year old duke. It sounds too posh for a seventeen year old vampire. However, I'd never been so happy to hear my name after the hockey coach, coach Charles, announced the names of those who have made it onto the team. I don't smile often, but I couldn't help it, I felt really validated. I am a good hockey player.

There's one downside to being on the team though. Two words: Kennedy Keller. I'm ridiculously tired of his bullshit and the constant bickering and being around him everyday. I meant what I said about changing my classes because I can't afford to keep being in such close proximity to him. It's not good for my grades or my sanity. If I'm going to be around Kennedy, it'll be on the ice.

I have to admit, it felt really good to knock him down on the ground, especially after how he'd punched me before and how he upset me yesterday. He deserved it and he could consider that my revenge. He looked like an adorable little deer who'd just been born and couldn't quite figure out how walking works so they'd just end up on their ass. Wait a minute, did I just call him adorable? I shook my head and shut my eyes periodically to rid my brain of the thought.

As I walked out of the school, my lips moulded into a close-mouthed grin, my teeth just barely poking through as I tried to control my happiness. I'm on the team and I humiliated Kennedy. And for that, I feel really good.

"Woo hoo, babushka!" A chuckle escaped my lips at the nickname. Star. Ever since he spoke to me for the first time, he's been calling me that. He one hundred percent knows by now that it means 'grandmother' but he insists on calling me it since it's the only Russian word he knows. Well, besides 'vodka'. Star would chat to me almost every day, constantly insisting that I sit with him and his friends, but I always said no. An outsider would think that Star is my friend, but he's not, because if he was then I'd be going against my plans.

"Wowee, look at you all smug. I heard about what happened and man, I wish I could've witnessed it. Congrats on making the team, bro!" He hit my shoulder lightly. His shit-eating grin is so infectious and I found myself smiling subtly back at him.

"Thanks, Star. It does feel pretty good."

"Pretty good? It should feel amazing! I'm so glad that werewolf prick got what he deserved. I cannot wait to watch hockey games from now on just so I can see you shove him around." He's not the first person to approach me since I pushed Kennedy. Vincent cornered me in the locker rooms when we were all showering and changing to chastise me for getting violent. I remember what I had promised him about being on my best behaviour. I did manage to convince him that I did it to impress the coach and get on the team and not because I wanted to kick his ass. Truth is it was a combination of both.

"Well we are on the same team now. You don't really push and shove your teammates." I reasoned and he pursed his lips then sighed.

"I suppose you're right. But I do feel bad for you, being on a team with those disgusting things. So much for staying away from Kennedy," he said and I hummed in agreement.

"Well, hockey is a passion of mine so I'm willing to deal with it."

"Ah, you're so mature, they grow up so fast."

"Star, aren't we the same age? Why are you talking as though I'm like your little brother or somethi-"

"Anyways I gotta go! Bye, babushka!" And then he was off. I shook my head fondly then began walking home once again. It's a shame I don't want to make friends because Star is a one in a million.