Chapter Thirty Four {K}

Kennedy

I hear you want to become a vampire...

I'm afraid it's not possible, to turn from a wolf. The legends are false...

My name is Artur. I'm the vampire who your mother asked to turn her upon her request...

For a few moments it felt as though my head was below water, like everything was muffled and unclear, my ears completely waterlogged. Perhaps I was simply drowning in my tears.

"What?" I stood up swiftly, making myself dizzy. My vision could be likened to what you see after staring at a cluster of bright lights then looking away. I turned fully to face the mysterious figure. If he hadn't told me he was a vampire, it would still have been obvious that he is one. He's pale and broody and suave in his long, obsidian trench coat. Plus, his scent gives it away of course.

"Hello, Kennedy," he greeted lightly. My eyebrows scrunched together in a frown as I stared at him incredulously.

"How do you know my name?" I questioned, trying my best to sneer through my misery.

"Did you not hear me a moment ago? I knew your mother. We were good friends." In that moment it became abundantly clear how distraught and distracted I was as I lay as a miserable lump on the snow, because I hadn't even noticed his thick Russian accent.

"You and my mother were friends? How is that possible? You're a vampire and by the sounds of it, Russian." His lips stretched into a tight-lipped smile whilst he nodded his head slightly.

"Kennedy, it appears that you don't know as much about your mother as you think you do. Before she nestled down with Kaine, she was a world-traveller, an exchange student and a seeker of peace. I went to school with Kyla, once upon a time." I didn't think it was possible to frown even deeper than I already was. My mother never missed out on an opportunity to reminisce about her childhood. Not once did she ever mention anything about being an exchange student and gallivanting with Russian vampires.

"I can tell by the look on your face that you're confused. Please, let's chat. I have much that I think you'd like to know."

"Who are you?"

"Like I said-"

"No. Who are you?"

"I'm Artur Minsky. I've come to America with the vampire king to retrieve his sons. I'm what you would call a 'Second-In-Command'."

"Woah, woah, woah. What? There's a vampire king?" My eyebrows which were previously hugging my eyeballs were now kissing my hairline. Artur stifled a laugh by reaching a hand to cover his mouth before his steel-grey eyes met mine.

"There is much for you to learn, Mr Keller. Please, accompany me somewhere warm and I will explain everything." A million thoughts were whirling in my head, resembling a flushing toilet. I've just had my boyfriend, who I'm very in love with, obliterate my heart and leave me wallowing in the snow, solidifying that we're well and truly over. All I wanted to do was run home, slam my door and cry my eyes out until I eventually pass out, but now Artur has come along. How do I know if I can even trust this guy?

I roughly wiped my face with the sleeve of Dmitry's coat. Oh fuck, I completely forgot about my lack of attire.

"Listen, man- Artur, I just got dumped by a person I love more than anything and as you can see, I'm not really dressed..." He offered me a look of sympathy then cleared his throat.

"I completely understand your predicament, Mr Keller, but I trust you'll find it in you to join me anyway."

"Why?"