Chapter Twenty Two {K}

Kennedy

Don't panic. Don't panic. Don't panic! Fuck! I'm panicking.

"You're welcome - wait what?" My eyes widened to the size of saucers at the realisation of what I had just said, what I had just called him. In that moment, it felt as if every ounce of liquid in my body froze in an instant, rendering my muscles unable to move like the limbs of a brass statue. How did I let that slip? It's like my brain has a mind of its own, and it didn't feel the need to inform me that 'baby' was going to be its preferred nickname of choice. Is 'Demi' not good enough?!

"What?" I countered, trying my best to not expose how much I was internally freaking out.

"What do you mean 'what'? You just called me 'baby'."

"No I didn't," I said defensively. Real smooth, Ken.

"Yes you did!" His voice held a hint of annoyance.

"Pssh, I didn't say 'baby', I said 'Demi'." Lies.

"Kennedy, I know what I heard."

"No you don't."

"Then why is your heart pounding like that?" He quirked an eyebrow and I cursed internally.

"W-Well, that's because you're making me nervous."

"What? Your eyes went as wide as planet earth the minute that word came out of your mouth! You know what you said. Stop lying," he said pointedly and I cleared my throat then turned to my food, ignoring him.

"Everything alright?" Fallon asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Peachy," I said a little too quickly and I found myself feeling extremely grateful that no one had heard me call him that.

"I know you're lying," he whispered and I fought the urge to shiver.

Suki and Veronica walked over and sat down before distributing the low-key styrofoam cups to all of the vampires. The metallic smell of blood really doesn't get you excited to eat a chicken sandwich, but Demi bought it for me, so of course I was going to eat it.

"So, Halloween party's this weekend. We're going right?" Ben asked after taking a massive swig of his 'drink'.

"Of course we are. You're coming, Blaine?" Fallon turned to his friend with hopeful eyes. My eyes narrowed slightly upon seeing the way that Fallon looks at Blaine and the way that Blaine avoids his eyes.

"Sure. It's always kinda fun," he mumbled then placed his lips around his straw. Fallon smiled discreetly then returned to his meal as well.

"What about you, Kennedy? You going?" Star asked with a bored expression.

"Yeah, I always do. People kind of expect me to go, but they do always end up being fun."

"Hm, it must be so exhausting being the king of Forest Hill," Veronica said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. I frowned slightly then turned my attention to my food. I wouldn't bite back and let her egg me on.

"What about you, Dmitry? You've gotta go. It'll be so much fun. We can even do a couple's costume," Suki said excitedly and at the sound of the word 'couple', my head shot up and I immediately set my sight on Demi.