09- A Small Blade

Y/N and Mikasa landed on the edge of a tower. Looking around, they saw that their fellow soldiers were standing on the roofs not withdrawing. Why isn't anyone going over the wall? They must have heard the withdrawal signal. "Mikasa. Look." Y/N said as she stared at headquarters. The entire place had been surrounded by Titans.

"Hey Jean what are we gonna do?" Connie asked as him, Jean and the other cadets were stranded on a rooftop. "We can't do anything.They finally give us the order to withdraw and we were all out of gas of course. I can't believe this is how it's gonna end. Because of those damned cowards." Jean said, a look of disbelief on his face as he accepted his fate.

"You mean the supply depot? What is going on? Where are they!" Connie whined. "They all lost their will to fight. And I can understand why, but they abandoned their duty to supply us, barricading themselves inside HQ. And of course Titans have swarmed the place which means we can't get the gas ourselves." Jean said. "Then why are we waiting? We gotta go! Start thinning their numbers so we have a chance! Sitting here on this roof is totally pointless! Eventually the Titans are gonna come for us! We don't have much gas left. We'll just waste it if we try to run, and without our mobility we're completely screwed!" The bald cadet yelled. "You're using your head for once Connie, nice going. But I'm not sure we got the numbers needed to pull this thing off. The veterans of the Vanguard force have all been killed. How exactly do a bunch of rookies pull off a suicide mission like this? I mean, let's assume half of our force even survives the initial assault. Then what? The supply room is probably crawling with Titans in the 3 to 4 meter range. I don't see us accomplishing much there." Jean said.

"It's hopeless." Connie said letting out a sigh. "God what a dull life this turned out to be. I never even got to tell her just how I feel." Jean said resting his head on his hand. "C'mon guys we can do this. Right, let's go! If we all work together we can make this happen, I know we can! Alright? I'll take the lead!" Sasha exclaimed trying to cheer up her comrades, but it was no use. They had all given up. In the distance, she spotted Armin, hoping at least someone was willing to fight for their life still. "Armin it's time to go." She said, but saw that he too had given up.

A few feet away, Bertoldt, Reiner, Annie, and Marco had gathered on the edge of a roof and were looking at the town. "Reiner, do we move out?" Annie asked. "No, not yet. We have to let them gather up first." Reiner responded. "It's no use. There's too many of them. I don't think any of us are going to survive this. I've come to accept my impending demise. I just...wanted my death to mean something." Marco said.

"Mikasa, Y/N weren't you two with the rear guard?" Someone asked as the two girls ran. "Annie! I know how bad things have gotten. It's selfish putting personal matters in the forefront, but have you seen Eren's squad?" She asked. "Some squads made it back. But I don't know about Eren's." Annie replied. "We found Armin, he's over there." Reiner responded.

The girls looked over to a tower wall and saw Armin sitting alone. "Armin!" The two girls said as they jogged towards him. His blue eyes widened at the sound of their voice. Mikasa, Y/N. I can't. How do I tell them what happened to Eren? I survived but it means nothing. So useless...I wish I had died with him instead. "Armin, are you okay? You're not hurt are you?" Mikasa said kneeling down to his level. She quickly stood back up and looked around for her other friend. "Where's Eren?" But all Armin could do was hold back tears. "Armin?" She asked once again. "Armin, where is he?" Y/N said, placing a hand on his shoulder.

He quickly looked up at Mikasa, tears flooding his eyes. She immediately understood what had happened. "They were....the cadets of squad 34." His tears dropped onto the roof panels. "Thomas Wagner....Nack Tierce....Milieus Zeremski....Mina Carolina.... Eren Jaeger....These brave 5 upheld their duties....they died valiantly in the field of battle." Armin said through tears. "His whole squad was wiped out?" Someone asked. "Same will happen to us if we try to take on those Titans." Another soldier replied.