31- Promise on Top of the Snowy Mountain

Flashback

It was currently winter for the 104th Cadet Corps. At this moment, they were trekking through the snow on top of the mountain. They were wearing thick coats and they had scarfs wrapped around their faces to keep warm. Just up ahead they could see the two cabins that they would be spending the night in.

"Come on! You're almost there! Keep it up!" The instructor yelled. The first Cadets had just started to make their way to the campsite.

"Nine hours and twelve minutes. Not bad given the conditions you had to trudge through." The second instructor yelled.

Y/n, Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Sasha, and Connie sat down near the fence while they waited to be let into the cabins. "Ugh, thought we were dead out there. Dammit, nobody said training would be this rough." Eren groaned. He was slumped up against the fence next to Jean.

"Anyone else not feel their legs?" Jean asked. "Why won't they let us inside?" Connie asked. "I bet they're laying out a massive banquet for us as we speak!" Sasha said.

Y/n rolled her eye at them. "Hey will you guys shut up already?" She snapped. Jean turned his head to face her. "What's your deal? You've been real moody the last 6 hours." Jean asked. Y/n glared at him. "Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm about to freeze my ass off. I'll be nicer when they finally let us inside." She said.

Suddenly, Reiner ran up to them. "Hey," he shouted, "you guys seen Christa?" He asked. Mikasa was the first to answer. "Not for a while. She was with Daz and he wasn't doing so good." She said. "Yeah and he's not here. Ymir isn't back yet either." Reiner replied.

"They're probably mixed in with the last squad." Marco added in. "That's just it. Thomas was leading the last squad, says they never saw them." Reiner said.

A chilling breeze swept through the air. There was a realization of what could have happened but nobody wanted to say it. "Woah hold on, do you think they're lost?" Armin asked. "Oof and if they get stuck out there in taht snow storm they're done for." Connie said.

Eren let out a growl and stood up. "Eren!" Mikasa said. She grabbed onto his arm to keep him from moving any further. "I have to go back out there and try to find them!" Eren said. "I'm with you!" Marco chimed in.

"In the cabin, now." The instructors ordered. They were walking over to the group.

"But Christa and-"

"We know. A rescue team will be sent out at first light." The instructor said trying to deescalate the situation. "They'll have frozen to death by then!" Eren shouted.

"Do you want more people to die?" The instructor said. A harsh wind whipped across their faces and they were forced to have to go inside, much to Eren's dismay.

Meanwhile deep in the mountain Christa was dragging Daz's body by sled with Ymir follows next to her. "Christa, seriously give it up. This is pointless." Ymir said, but Christa was ignoring her and keeping at her current pace. "No it's not." Christa replied.

"Dumb bastard's got one foot in the grave as it is. Nobody to blame but himself if you ask me. Should have known how much he could handle before trying to boost his score. Some people just aren't cut out to be soldiers. He'll be long gone by the time you make it to the foot of that mountain. Rate we're going we'll be lucky not to join him. It's a zero sum game. The way I see it we've got two options: leave Daz to the elements and save our own skins, or die a cozy little trio. What's it gonna be?" Ymir commented.

The entire time Christa kept ignoring Ymir's words. She was determined to make it. "You left one out. Third option: You're completely wrong, I reach base in plenty of time to save Daz's life and by morning this is all a bad memory. There's no reason for you to stick with me, we'll only slow you down. You'll make it back a lot faster on your own.  Daz and I'll be right behind you. Go on ahead." Christa replied