29- Unanswered Questions

A/n: Hello my lovely readers apologies for not updating sooner but I'm giving you not one, not two, but THREE updates. Check my A/n at the end for more info.

It was a chilling sight. Connie's village, a once lively place, was now barren and in ruin. The only sign of life left was a Titan that was laying on top of his house.

"Connie, have you found any survivors?" Reiner said as he ran up to where Connie stood. "No..." Connie said still in disbelief of what stood in front of him, "no...it's...it's in ruins. My hometown has been completely wiped out." He did his best to hold back tears but to no avail. The tears had still managed to seep through his eyes.

It hurt Reiner to watch his friend in pain like this. He walked up to where Connie stood and placed a strong hand on the boy's shoulder, gritting his teeth. Bertoldt stood idly by and watched as Reiner silently offered his condolences to Connie.

"Hey! Something's wrong," Gelger said as he walked up to where the boys stood. "you...find any bodies yet?" He asked. Bertoldt, Reiner, and Connie all said no, and it was true. No where in the town was there so much as a limb present. "How is that even possible? Titans ransacked this place and there's not a speck of blood-" Gelger started.

"They must have fled! The villagers, I mean, they all escaped. Uh, your family too." A female soldier said, interrupting Gelger. "You think so? You think they're alive?" Connie asked. There was a ray of hope in his voice. A hope that had died out the moment he saw the ruins of his town.

The female soldier hardly believed what she was saying, but she lied to keep Connie focused. He could grieve on his own time. "Uh, yeah sure, it's the only logical explanation for why there'd be no trace of...well, carnage." The soldier responded. Gelger watched silently as the female soldier did her best to cheer up Connie. I don't know that I agree with that. Suppose the entire village was evacuated in time, how do you explain the devastation? Why would Titans rip apart empty houses? And that doesn't bother me half as much as the stables being full. Without horses, the village's odds of survival are slim to none.

"Anyone not have a torch? Okay, let's move! Our mission is to evaluate the breach." Gelger said. All the soldiers in the area got onto their horses and started to ride off. As Connie hopped onto his horse he heard the Titan that was on top of his house speak.

"Wel-come.....home." The Titan managed to say much to the surprise of Connie. As he turned around, he could see that the Titan was staring at him trying to utter out more words. He could hear his heart pounding in his chest. Even if the Titan couldn't move it was still terrifying to look at. "Did I...." Connie started when he suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Snap out of it! You're falling behind Gelger and the others." Reiner said, shaking Connie. "Did you hear that? You had to! I swear that Titan-" Connie said.

"It was only your imagination! I didn't hear a damn thing. Focus on the mission." Reiner said steering his horse over to Connie. "But I...it sounded...I don't know how but....it sounded...like my mo-"

"Dammit, Connie! Do you even know how serious our situation is right now? If we don't see this through people will die in the hundreds of thousands. Just cuz your family escaped doesn't mean they're out of the woods yet! Now you wanna be a soldier or don't you?" Reiner said as he rode off to catch up with the others.

"Yeah, stay focused! I'm a soldier." Connie said as he followed after Reiner. Behind him, the Titans eyes stayed on him.

7 Hours after the Titan spotting, Western Team

Nanaba, Ymir, Historia, and another soldier were all riding in the forest currently to warn other villages about the Titans within Wall Rose.

"The closer we get to the wall, the less populated the area will be." A soldier said.