24- A Good Person

Annie Leonhart wakes up to the shining sun. Her hair is messy and so is her room. She stays at the Military Police Headquarters within Wall Sina, far away from Titans.

She goes about her daily routine of getting ready and waiting for a commanding officer to assign her jobs for the day. As she walks down the stairs, she is greeted by her comrades who are already lined up and ready to start their day.

"You finally woke up. You look so scary when you sleep, I couldn't wake up. Sorry, Annie." Hitch said. She and Annie were bunk mates.

"Lately, you've been too lax." Marlow comments. He stood upright looking straight ahead showing little to no emotion in his face. "What? Are you mad?" Hitch teased. "Well, aren't you a friendly one." Marlow said sarcastically. On her face, Annie had a look of exhaustion even though she most likely got more sleep than the rest of the soldiers.

"Leave her alone. Annie's from Trost District. And she's the only one in this HQ who's been in a fight. She just came back from hell. It'll take her a while to recover." A soldier defended her as she went to line up. "I get it....you like her. What's so great about her?" Hitch asks. "Hitch, there's only one way a moron like you makes it into the Military Police." The soldier replied. "What's that? I wouldn't know. Tell me." Hitch teased. "Quiet you two." Marlow whispered to them.

A commanding officer was walking towards them. All of the soldiers raised their fists to salute as he came closer. "Don't bother. Today, we have a different task for you than normal busywork. That's why I had all of you coke here. It's about the Survey Corps group that's being summoned to the capitol. They'll be passing through the city's Main Street today. Escorting them is a Military Police HQ job, so we just need to handle them as they come through town. Temporary permission for in city use of 3D Maneuver Gear has been granted. You will guard them in tandem with their own security. You'll travel by barge to the area where your mission with begin. That is all." The officer finished.

The young Military Police soldiers lowered their fists putting them behind their backs. "May I ask something?" Marlow said. "Hmm? What?" The officer asked. "What are we protecting them from?" Marlow asked. The officer looked up at him confusion but he continued with what he was saying. "I've never heard of anyone within the walls acting against the monarchy. There are petty criminals yes, but it's hard to imagine any real organization unless they were based outside the walls. And I can't imagine any possible motive."

The officer walked over to Marlow. "You're so serious. Okay, you're in charge of everything. Here are the details." He shoved the papers into Marlow's chest before dropping them in his hand. "We ranking officers are busy. You guys, handle this on your own. But don't screw up." The officer opened a door that lead into a room with a group of Military Police soldiers playing cards. "Sorry I held up your game. Let's get back to it. Whose turn was it?"

Outside in the courtyard, the young soldiers were getting ready for their mission. "Damn! He's just screwing around!" Marlow said. "Yeah, this organization is even more rotten than I'd imagined. But of course, that's why I chose it. But when you're a rookie, they make you do almost everything. I didn't know that before." Hitch replied.

"Scum. Damn scum who can only think of themselves!" Marlow said. "What are you talking about, Marlow? Since you chose the MP's, you're no better." A soldier said. Marlow looked at him with disgust. "I am better! I'm not trash like you. I came here to correct the Military Police." Marlow said.

Hitch started to clap sarcastically. "Wow, Marlow. I had no idea you were this way." She teased. "And how will you do that?" A soldier asked. "I'll have to work my way up. When I'm in charge, I'll fix the discipline issues, and punish those who are corrupt. It's simple. I'll make the MP a place for normal human beings again. That's all. The way humans are supposed to be." Marlow said. Annie looked down at the ground, while Hitch dropped to her knees laughing.