51- The Night Before

Premier Zackley entered the room, closing the door behind him. Commander Erwin, Captain Levi, Hange, and Commander Pixis were already in the room waiting for him. On top of the table, rested the Titan serum that had been taken from the Reiss Estate.

"Looks like I'm late." Zackley said, walking over and taking a seat with the others. "Have any luck? Were you able to establish what's in the container?"

"We have a vague idea. Unfortunately with our technology, I'm afraid we can't dig much deeper. Like we've heard from Eren and Historia, as well as Y/n, it seems to originate from some sort of human body fluid. However it vaporizes when exposed to air, making further analysis impossible to perform. Whoever made it must have had technology far superior to ours. I can't imagine how the Reiss family could've managed to do it." Hange said.

"In that case, rather than tamper with it, we should put it to use for our current objective." Commander Pixis suggested.

"But to whom do we entrust it? To you, Erwin?" Zackley asked.

"No. With my wound I would be a poor choice." Erwin said, touching the area of the missing part of his arm. "This syringe, it belongs in the hands of one of our elite, someone with the best odds of survival. Levi, will you accept it?"

Levi looked up to the commander with a glare. "If it's an order just say so. Why even bother asking?" He said.

"When we need to use this, there may not be time to plan. We'll be relying on you to make a decision swiftly, and with little deliberation. Judging when to use it, and on whom, will be your responsibility. Will you accept it?" Erwin repeated.

"If this dream of yours comes true, what will you do then?" Levi asked.

"I don't know. And I won't, not until it happens." Erwin said.

"I see. Alright, I'll do it." Levi said.

Erwin closed the top to the case of the syringe and handed it to Levi.

After the meeting with the Premier had ended, Commander Erwin went back to the Scout Regiment headquarters. He gathered all the squad leaders to discuss the plans for retaking Wall Maria.

"You spoke with Shadis, and it seems from what he told you, Grisha Jaeger is a human who came from outside the walls." Erwin said, placing down the report on the table for the others to see.

"Yes. And like the others, Annie, Reiner, and Bertoldt, it appears he also had the power of the Titans. But where those three sought to undermine it, he was supportive of humanity within the walls." Hange said.

"If he was really that supportive of the scouts and what we do, he coulda thrown a bit more information our way." One of the squad leaders commented.

"I wonder, from the moment he entered our walls he was searching for the royal family, a heavy burden to shoulder alone. If you ask me, that's not something you do unless you have an iron will and incredible resolve. And let's not forget that same man later wanted to show his young son, eager to join the scouts, something important. Staring death in the face, he said the truth of it all was there, in the cellar. What's down there? What was he hiding?" Hange said.

Erwin thought back to his father's lessons. How he had theorized that there were other humans beyond the walls. And how he later was killed because word got out.

"Things which mustn't be said. No, things which can't be spoken. He couldn't say even if he wanted to. That which the first Reiss King wiped from our consciousness. The truth of our world. At least I hope, but speculating more won't accomplish anything. The final preparations are now complete. The operation to retake Wall Maria begins in 2 days. Want to know what's in that cellar? Let's go see for ourselves. We're scouts, that's what we do." Erwin said.