18- Can You See Him Too?

No one was sparred from suspicion in the killings of Sawney and Bean, including the cadets. At this very moment the new soldiers were being checked to see if anyone among them was the culprit.

"When's the last time the shaft was replaced?" A soldier asked. "Six days ago, after the cleaning operation." Sasha replied. "She checks out." Another soldier said, crossing Sasha's name off the list. "Okay, next! You there." The soldier said. "I'm Christa Lenz of the 42nd Squad." Christa said. "We'll inspect your gear." The soldier said.

"So you can be punished for killing a Titan too?" One of the cadets said. "As strange as it sounds, those were valuable specimens." Another cadet replied. "Even so, why are they searching for the culprit amongst us recruits?" The soldier asked. "Yeah, everyone's exhausted from cleaning up the battlefield until today." A cadet replied.

"The culprit must've really hated the Titans." Connie said. "But in this case, they pretty much helped the Titans out. Their lust for revenge may have been sated, but mankind will suffer for it." Armin responded. "I'm an idiot, so I think I get it. Before I saw a Titan, I seriously planned to enlist in the Survey Corps. But now, I'm not sure. Today's the day we have to decide too." Connie said.

He looked around before spotting Jean, seeing that his fist was clenched. Is Jean seriously....

The other night....

The recruits watched as the bodies of their comrades were burned to ashes. Many of them were crying, including Connie who sat on the ground holding his head in his hands. Jean on the other hand looked at the flames with no emotion. Everyone's regretting it. If I'd known this would happen, I wouldn't have become a soldier. Now that I've burned myself out, that's all I can think about.

Jean moved forward towards the crumbs of bone that sprinkled the ground and picked some up. Hey, Marco...I can't tell which of these are your bones anymore. If I hadn't become a soldier, I wouldn't have had to worry about who'd die next. I get it.

He remembered how it was just a few nights ago that Eren was in the mess hall giving a speech about joking the Survey Corps. I get it. I know we have to fight. Still, not everyone can be a reckless idiot like you. From the corner of his eye, Jean swore he could see Marco standing there, watching him.

"Hey, you guys. Do you know where you're going to enlist? Well, I do. I'm...I'm...enlisting in the Survey Corps!" Jean said holding back tears as he held onto his fist.

Back in the present...

"Damn." Connie said. "Hey, Annie. What did you think? Jean of all people said he'd enlist in the Survey Corps." Connie said. "Huh? Jean did?" Armin said. "Nothing really." Annie replied.

"You're set on the Military Police Brigade, right? I should go there too shouldn't I?" Connie asked. "Say, if someone told you to die, would you?" She asked. "What do you mean? Of course not." Connie replied. "Then why not decide for yourself? Armin, how about you?" Annie asked. "I think that if there's a legitimate reason, there might be no other choice but to die. I wouldn't like it though." Armin said. "I see. So you've decided." Annie said.

"Yeah. I chose where I'd enlist a long time ago." Armin said. "Seriously? Armin you too?" Connie asked. "You're weak, but you do have guts." Annie said. "Th-Thanks. Annie, you're actually pretty nice huh? I mean, it seems like you don't want us to join the Survey Corps. Is there a reason why you want to join the Military Police though?" Armin asked. "Not really. I just want...to save myself." Annie said. Armin was looking down at her 3DM gear.

Meanwhile, Levi and Y/n were on their way back to the castle with important information for his squad. "In the end, we couldn't find a soldier who used their device without permission. Just who in the world..." Gunther said. "Who knows? I'm more worried about the recruitment assemble right now. I wonder how many recruits would be eccentric enough to enlist." Eld said. "Hey, Eren! Are any of your comrades planning to enlist with us?" Gunther asked.