48- That Day

Rod Reiss's Titan continued its way to Orvud District. It could sense the presence of the large mass of people within the District's wall and focused its attention to heading there.

"What the hell are you thinking, Erwin? Keep the citizens in the city without evacuation?! By the time it's dawn, that Titan will be all over us!" The soldier said, grabbing onto the Commander's jacket collar.

"That Titan is an abnormal." Hange chimed in.

"What the hell does that even mean?!" The soldier asked.

"The target Titan is strangely attracted to high concentrations of people. Hence, abnormal. It means the fellow will turn a blind eye to a small village ignoring it in favor of reaching this fortified city. If right now, you were to evacuate the citizens within Wall Sina, it would be drawn towards them, destroying the wall and all in its path. In the end, it would reach Mitras with the greatest density of people and deliver a Sebastian blow to humanity. On our way back, we attempted to use Eren Jaeger's power to control Titans, but Rod Reiss's Titan showed no interest.

Flashback

Levi Squad followed at a distance from Reiss's Titan. Eren stood up in the cart facing the Titan while shouting different commands at it. Y/n rode on a horse alongside the cart with Mikasa and the others.

"Stop, Titan!" Eren shouted, punching the air.

But the Titan ignored him.

"Hey, stop! I'm talking to you! Can't you hear me, idiot?! Rod Reiss, that means you! You tiny old man!" Eren shouted, continuing to punch the air.

Suddenly, Eren let out a gasp realizing what he had said. Behind him, Levi glared at him as he rode on a horse.

"Looks like Y/n is gonna be a single woman soon." Mikasa said.

Present Time

"If we are to stop that Titan, we must do so outside the walls of Orvud District. For that, to happen, we must have the citizens act as bait. However, this does not change the fact that our first duty as soldiers is to protect the citizens. Supposing we're unable to halt the target, we'll take measures so that not a single citizen is killed. We'll announce an emergency evacuation drill for Orvud District so that if needed, the citizens will be ready to evacuate at once." Erwin said.

The Garrison soldier hesitated. He wanted there to be another solution, but knew that there was not a better understanding. "It seems there's no other choice." The soldier said.

"The body of our target is the largest we've seen. As such, it presents an easy target. Wall-mounted cannons should prove highly effective, but if that's not enough to bring it down, the Scout Regiment will throw everything we have at it." Erwin said.

It was nearly dawn. The sun was starting to peek over the mountains in the distance, and the clouds were becoming visible in the sky again.

On top of the wall, soldiers stood ready with the cannons pointed at Rod Reiss's Titan. Down below in Orvud, soldiers prepared citizens for an emergency evacuation.

"As part of this drill, dummy titans and cannons will be used! It'll be a large-scale exercise like nothing you've seen before! However, we ask you not to panic! Remain calm and follow our-" A soldier said to the citizens gathered.

"Ma'am, I gotta get my store ready for the day, so can't you let us go home?" A man said. All of the people in Orvud wore similar uninterested expressions on their faces. None of them saw the point of this practice drill.

"Customers won't be coming today. Take the day off." The soldier said.

"I don't think so, Lady." The man said.