Breathe

Scar's POV

I lift my head above the water, feeling like a massive weight was just lifted off my shoulders. The sun beams down on my face, making me smile as I lay on my back, floating on top of the water.

It feels like ages since I've been able to do this, just be able to breathe in the air above the waves. Sure, I can breathe underwater too, but, being half human, I need to do this sometimes. It feels great, like a break for my lungs almost.

I'm glad Xisuma let me up here, even with strict instructions in place. A few ships had been spotted in the area, and so even being near the top of the ocean had to be for necessary reasons.

Sometimes I have my regrets about joining this small group. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends, but when X told me it was a safe place for people who were half human, I honestly expected something different.

Half humans are treated horribly by Purebloods, and I used to find myself getting beaten up a lot. When I was invited to come to this tiny community, tucked away beside a large coral reef, I thought it would mean being able to embrace both halves of myself.

Boy was I wrong. This was still a safe place, full of lovely people, but Xisuma HATES humans. A lot. He's only trying to protect us, but I really don't get it. We aren't allowed to go near any islands or ships, and we especially aren't allowed to change forms.

It's the latter I mostly have an issue with. Despite never changing before, the urge to do so has become very strong over the last couple years. Staring wistfully ok the direction of a small island nearby, I can't help but think about how easily I could go there and change, even for just a few minutes...

Shaking my head, I dive back down beneath the waves, deciding to distract myself by visiting Ezra, who most know as EX.

Despite being the only one who doesn't call himself a Hermit, Ezra's the only one who suits the name. He mostly hangs around in a small cave hidden by coral, or occasionally goes up onto land simply because Xisuma tells him not to.

He tells me everything he knows about humans and sailors, knowing how interested I am. He's the only other person who doesn't hate or fear them, making him very easy to talk to for me.

I've described the longing I feel to change forms and become human, even if it's for a short period of time. He told me that it's normal, and often offers to take me with him when he goes to one of the small islands. I always refuse though, terrified of what might happen if I get caught.

Swimming along and dodging coral branches, I eventually reach the small cave Ezra calls his home. Poking my head inside, I see he's sitting with his back resting on one of the walls, blood red tail tucked in close to him as he closely inspects a small metal thing in his hands.

"Hi" he mumbles, not looking up, his ghost white hair falling over his scarlet eyes.

"Hi" I respond "What's that?"

"Oh... nothing" he responds, quickly hiding the small thing from me. I raise an eyebrow.

"Well it's clearly something, lemme see!"

He tries to turn away, but I'm quick, managing to grab the small, round item from him. I see that it's a brass compass, and a rather nice one too.

"Cool! Why'd you hide this?"

Ezra doesn't respond, so I continue to inspect it.

"This isn't from a shipwreck... the metal would be rusty" I remark "How did you get this?"

"It... fell... off a ship that's... nearby" he mumbles, clearly lying. I don't push the subject though. Snatching the compass back, he looks up at me.

"Well, what do you need?" Ezra asks

"Um... nothing in particular" I shrug

He gives me a sympathetic look

"You not feeling great?"

I know exactly what he means by that. It's almost like a code word for when my longing gets particularly bad. Nodding, I find myself unable to look him in the eye.

"Hey, it's ok." He tells me, pulling me into a hug "The offer still stands if you want me to take you up there."

"I'm fine" I insist, knowing its not true. I can't keep lying to myself, I'll have to tell Xisuma eventually. Maybe he'll understand. For now though, I'm gonna try live with it. Just try and stick to a normal life, and act as normal as I can.

Little did I know how much my world would change after that.