Truth

BDubs crosses his arms, giving me a questioning look.

"You were swimming down from where the ship is. What were you doing?" He asks

I'm too frozen with panic to respond. Did he see me with Grian?! No, he can't have, there's no way he'd follow me. As nosey as he can be, BDubs is still scared of humans, and wouldn't go that far.

"What were you doing up there Scar?" He asks again "Tell me or I'll get Xisuma"

"I was looking at the ship!" I quickly blurt. It's not the best answer, and I'm bound to get into trouble, but it's better then admitting the truth. BDubs scowls at me, showing slightly pointed teeth.

"That's it. I told you if I caught you up there again I'd tell him without hesitation Scar." He growls, though his voice wavers with uncertainty. He turns, about to leave when I take his hand, holding back tears.

"Wait. That... wasn't entirely the truth"

I bite my lip as he turns back around, looking slightly surprised. I feel like I'm going to throw up, but it's too late to go back on it now. I decide to just get rid of this horrible feeling of dread and tell him.

"I was with a human"

BDubs looks more surprised then I expected him to be, considering how suspicious he's been of Grian.

"Remember the boy I saw on the ship? That's who Grian actually is. I was talking to him"

The dread is only worse, but I continue.

"When I first saw him, I think I developed a bit of a crush on him, then I saw him drowning and saved his life. I've gone to see him twice since then and... that's why I was gone"

BDubs doesn't say a word, his face softening slightly. He almost seems disappointed, which makes my tears start flowing down my cheeks and out into the ocean around us.

"I'm sorry I lied to you... just go tell Xisuma and get it over with" I mumble

"I- I won't... not right now"

I'm quite surprised by this, and he looks up at me.

"He... he hasn't tried to kill or capture you?"

I shake my head

"Does he even know you're half merman?"

"Yeah... he was a little surprised at first, but he doesn't seem to mind."

"B-but Xisuma said-"

"BDubs, Xisuma's wrong about humans. Grian's a really nice person"

"But he could be tricking you!"

"I doubt he is."

This seems to get him to pause and think. I can be a little too trusting sometimes, but the confidence in my voice seems to ensure that I'm serious.

"Ok... you haven't changed form have you?" He asks after another minute.

"Um... yes. It's actually really fun" I admit

"And is this all why you've been so happy?"

"It is. Being with him just makes me feel so much happier. I really like him... a lot"

"It seems like you do... so I won't tell Xisuma for now. Just... promise me you won't get hurt, ok?"

My eyes light up, and I can barely contain my joy.

"Thank you so much Bdubs, I promise I won't get injured" I assure him, hugging him tightly. I can't believe he's not gonna tell on me, that he's actually going to trust a human he doesn't even know not to hurt me.

"I'm happy you've found someone who makes YOU happy, so I'll keep this to myself. But trust me, if ANYTHING happens to you, I will take X's trident and stab that guy in the face"

This makes me giggle a little, and I'm slightly worried that's something he might actually do.

"I'm gonna go back to sleep" he mumbles eventually, and I'm unable to hear the sadness in his voice. He turns away from me so I can't see his tears, and pulls his blankets around him. I'm oblivious of how I've just broken his heart, too happy to even consider that he might've loved me...

And that's a mistake I'll regret making.