Chaos

Ezra's POV

I'm scared.

For the first time in months, I'm fearful of what's going to happen to me, despite only being on this ship for a few hours. It unfortunately affects my ability to change, as I'm no longer able to pull together enough concentration to do so.

Xisuma hides his fear from the pirates, but I can tell how scared he is on the inside. I gently nudge him, and he jumps.

"Hey... do you think you're able to change?" I whisper, not wanting to catch the attention of the pirate nearby.

"I told you I can't!" He whispers back "I'm too scared!"

We'd been thrown below deck for the time being, until the man with the beard came back. It's awful. I can't move very much, and I'm squished between a large barrel and my brother. To make matters worse, my tail is feeling really uncomfortable after being out of water for too long.

"Why didn't you bring your trident?" I hiss "It would've made things so much easier!"

"I only bring it with me in emergencies!" He snaps back

"What, like Scar having a boyfriend?"

"Oh shut up! Is this situation not enough proof that humans are dangerous?!"

"Would you two stop bickering?!" The pirate snaps, brushing his neon blue hair out of his eyes. "You sound like a pair of arguing siblings!"

"We ARE a pair of arguing siblings" I growl, rolling my eyes

"Well I don't care! Seriously, of all the merpeople we could capture it had to be this sassy bastard"

"Trust me, the others aren't much better" I mumble to myself

"Others?" The man repeats, raising an eyebrow as a grin spreads across his face

Xisuma jams a rough elbow into my ribcage, which I probably deserve. The pirate smirks, standing up.

"Well thank you for that valuable information. I'm sure Cub will be delighted"

Scar's POV

"Etho, False, you two are practically ninjas." Grian tells his friends "We need you to sneak on board and find out where they're keeping them"

"Tango, Zedaph, in the meantime, we need you two to cause a distraction." I instruct "You can do anything as long as nobody sees you, and nobody gets hurt."

"Ooh, can I help?" The one called Impulse asks

"Depends, can you cause absolute chaos?" Tango asks

"I do it on a regular basis" Impulse responds, grinning

"I like this guy" Zedaph remarks with a giggle

"Ok" Grian continues "Biffa, Mumbo, Cleo, Doc and Iskall, once they find Ezra and Xisuma, we need you to get on board and unleash all hell on those pirates"

"Wels, BDubs, Joe and Stress, try find a way to bust them out from the outside" I tell the other four

"Scar and I will go and rescue them... mostly Scar because Xisuma isn't gonna trust me."

"Wait, how's Scar gonna get onto the ship?" Doc asks, motioning to my tail, everyone but Grian, Biffa and BDubs nodding in agreement.

I can't help but smile as I switch forms, which doesn't hurt at all for once. I push myself onto my back and kick my legs above the water, earning surprised expressions from the others.

"You can do that?!" Mumbo gasps

"Yep! I'm half merman and half human, which means I can alternate between the two" I explain "All of us can, actually"

"You know Xisuma's gonna kill you, right?" BDubs sighs with a smile he can't hide

"Oh I know" I respond, climbing out of the water "But I think he'd consider this an emergency"

"Wait, if all of you can be human, why can't you just help us attack the ship?" Impulse asks

"Um... Scar's the only one who's ever done it before" Wels admits "Most of us... all of us actually, are too scared to do it"

"Besides, we don't have the time to try teach them all how to walk and stuff" Grian tells him "We need to get going with the plan NOW"

"Well then what are we waiting for?" Biffa asks "Let's kick some pirates' butts!"

Ezra's POV

I've gone back to panicking when I hear a soft thud. It's quieter then a graveyard, and the soft sound of boots on the ground creeps me out. Then I see a pair of mismatched eyes staring at me through the darkness below deck. One deep brown eye, the other bright red like mine.

As soon as I see him however, Etho is gone. I smirk, knowing this is part of a chaotic plan about to take place.

A sudden bang makes Xisuma jump. He hadn't seen Etho, but this definitely caught his attention. The loud noises continue, and I see the bright flashes of fireworks through one of the round windows.

"What's going on?!" X worries

"Don't worry... I have a feeling this is the doing of your friends." I tell him with a grin

"What?! They're putting themselves in danger, they can't-"

Yells come from above us, along with the sound of many boots on the ground and clashing swords.

"What the hell is happening?" My twin mumbles, clearly confused.

But I don't respond, knowing one of the most chaotic team-ups I could ever think of has just occurred.