Relief

Scar's POV

I stare in a mixture of awe and exitement at myself. I just did that. I actually just did that!

Reaching a hand forward, I gently touch one of my legs and jump a little, not at all used to the feeling of skin instead of scales, or my new limbs being touched.

Touching the side of my neck, I realise my small gills are gone, and my slightly pointed ears are now rounder.

I look back up at Ezra, who's awkwardly looking away. I frown a little in confusion.

"What?"

"You... you don't really have any clothes on" he mumbles, cheeks bright red. "One minute"

I watch as dives back into the water, but I'm still slightly confused. Shrugging it off, I turn to check on the boy again. He's still sleeping, and he probably will be for a while. I smile, gently pushing some of his hair out of his eyes. He's so pretty.

"I got you some- oh."

Ezra is back, with something in his hands. My face turns red, and I do my best to try scoot away from the boy.

"Why does something tell me you've seen this guy before?" He asks, raising an eyebrow as he comes over. I see he has a white t-shirt, and something I don't recognised at all.

He hands me the soaking wet t-shirt, which I pull over my head. I don't really mind that it's wet, it'll dry off soon.

"Well, I have seen him before." I reply, before staring at the other thing. "What's that?"

"Shorts. They're called that because they're... short." He responds, helping me pull them on, and up to my waist.

"Where did you get these?" I ask, squirming around a little to try get used to them.

"Oh, I found something like them once and decided to try make my own. You can tell by the messy stitching. I actually made them for you in case you ever wanted to come up here"

"Thank you! They're really nice!" I remark with a bright smile. Ezra smiles too.

"I'm happy that you're happy" he tells me. "Now c'mon, I'm gonna help you stand up"

I feel a cross between fear and excitement at those words. Ezra stands up, placing a hand on either side of my torso.

"Ok, I'm gonna lift you up, and you're gonna put both your legs on the ground like the way I am, got it?"

I nod nervously, and I'm suddenly lifted into the air. He gently sets me back down, and I keep clinging to him for dear life. It feels so weird to bear all my weight like this, having been able to float around, light as a feather my whole life.

"You don't have to hold you legs so close together, it's easier if you space them apart a little." He suggests. I scoot my legs apart a little, starting to feel a little confident, when Ezra suddenly lets go.

I immediately go off balance, trying to stay upright but eventually falling over. Luckily the part I land on is squishy, so I'm not hurt.

"What was that for?!"

"You aren't gonna learn how to walk if you don't do it yourself."

"Well you can't throw a human baby in the sea and expect it to teach itself how to swim!"

"That's debatable, but you aren't a baby. Well... not physically"

I cross my arms, sticking my tongue out at him. Ezra merely rolls his eyes.

"Ok. Now try standing up, but by yourself. You can use your arms to help push yourself up."

Biting my lip nervously, I try to mimic the way he stands up. Despite almost faceplanting, and stumbling back and forth a lot, I eventually do it!

I can't describe the overwhelming joy I feel, being able to finally do this. It feels amazing, and I wish I'd done it sooner. The pain was definitely worth it.

Ezra places his hands back on my torso, guiding me through a few wobbly steps, but like standing, I'm able to do it myself after a while. I'm actually doing it. I'm finally walking!

I hug my best friend tightly, unable to describe the joy I feel right now. That joy is suddenly replaced with nervousness when I see the boy is waking up.