Storm

Grian's POV

I'm still swimming when the dark clouds come in. I don't notice them, too busy having fun. It's only when rain begins to pour from he sky that I realise a storm is starting. Panicking, I try yell to Mumbo, but I'm too far out, and the waves are getting stronger, pulling me away from the shore. Thunder booms overhead, and I hear distant shouts, barley audible.

A strong wave smacks me in the face, pushing me underwater for a minute. I struggle to get back up, only getting a second to catch my breath before I'm slammed backwards again. I try to swim against the waves, but it's impossible at this stage. I can't believe it's gonna end like this. Drowning. If I was gonna die young, I at least wanted it to be in battle.

Another wave sends me crashing into a rock, and I begin to feel a numbness all over my body as I pass out,

Scar's POV

I'm on my way to find Ezra again when a storm begins to brew overhead. Perfect. Although it wouldn't affect me, seeing as I'm under the water, Xisuma would probably come find me to see if I was ok, realise I'm missing, and then come looking for me. The small cave is quite a while from the tiny village though, and I'm most of the way there, so maybe I could-

I stop as I see a flash of red. Was that blood? Squinting, I see it's a person in a red sweater... the blonde boy!

For a moment, I'm happy to see him again, before I realise he's been knocked out, and that humans can't breathe underwater. Panicking, I swim as fast as I can, grabbing onto him and pulling him back up. The storm is quite bad, and I'm having difficulties keeping his head above water. I can't bring him all the way back to where the ship is, I'm nowhere near strong enough, and he'd drown before we were even halfway.

Then I remember, one of the islands is directly above Ezra's cave. I immediately head off in that direction, kicking my tail with every bit of strength I can muster. The boy is still breathing, at least I'm 90% sure he is. My arms and tail quickly become sore, but I begin to make out the shape of the island. Just another 100 metres... just another few. Thankfully, the storm is clearing up, and it's becoming much easier to swim. Pulling myself up into the sand, I check to see if the boy's ok.

He's breathing, but he's still out cold. He doesn't have any visible injuries, or looks to be in pain, so I'm fairly sure he is. Exhausted, I lay down next to him, studying his face. He's even prettier up close... I wonder what his name is. Smiling, I close my eyes, feeling the warm sun on my face as I fall asleep.

"Well. This is an interesting sight. Wonder what Xisuma would say..."

I blink slightly, feeling gentle waves wash over the end of my tail, and something soft between my fingers. I realise it's dry sand, something I've never felt before. It's nice.

Opening my eyes, I see Ezra, standing over me with a wide grin on his face. Looking to my left, I see the boy. He's still asleep, and he looks really cute, with sand in his messy hair. Sitting up, I realise moving around is NOT easy. Frowning a little, I look back up at Ezra, who sits down beside me.

"How on earth did you end up on a beach, nearly a mile away from your home, next to a human?"

"Ohh... there was a storm and I saw him drowning. So I saved him"

"Wow. You're lucky I found you and not Xisuma. Something tells me he wouldn't be too jazzed if he were to see this." Ezra responds, raising an eyebrow. Then he gives me a cheeky grin. "You know... this would be a GREAT time to change forms."

"I don't know..." I respond, biting my lip and glancing at the boy.

"Oh come on, you're just scared" he teases, before motioning to his legs. "It's not half bad you know"

"Easy for you to say" I mumble

"Because it's easy to do! And it doesn't h- well, actually it might hurt but-"

"You never said it hurts!" I panic

"Only the first few times, then your body gets used to changing. It's fine honestly, the first time is the worst."

"... fine. Only because I REALLY need to."

"Ok then. Lift your tail out of the water."

Frowning, I do so. Nothing happens at all, and I give him an unimpressed look,

"Wait for a moment" Ezra tells me, and I do. Suddenly a sharp pain strikes me, and I gasp, grabbing onto Ezra. He holds me tightly as I bury my face in his chest, tears forming in the corners of my eyes. Then as quickly as it came, the pain disappears, leaving me with a very strange feeling below my waist and an immense sense of relief.

"Scar... Scar look!"

I stay clinging on to Ezra, peeking at where my tail used to be.

Oh my god.

It's actually worked.