How is This Bad?

Grian's POV

With a soft breeze ruffling my hair, the familiar smell of salty sea water surrounding me, and the sound of crashing waves calming me, I couldn't feel more at home.

But something feels a little different today. Like something's gonna happen... maybe we'll find something cool, or find someone-

"Grian?"

I jump a little, turning to see my good friend Mumbo. He's changed so much since I first met him, never wearing suits anymore, or only bothering to fix his moustache when it looks like a spider that got stuck to his face. His hair is all tousled and messy, and he's wearing a shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He still has those manners that make me wonder how on earth Iskall dragged a man like him into a pirate (wannabe) ship.

I look around, realising only now that we've stopped at a fairly small island, several smaller ones surrounding it, as well as several groups of rocks. I can't see very far into the water, but the amount of colour tells me there must be a coral reef down there.

"We've stopped? I didn't even notice"

"Well, Doc got lost again, threw a hissy fit, False saw this place, and we've decided to stop until we can find our way... and our compass"

"Oh don't tell me you lost it again!" I laugh

"No actually... Etho had it, but it's gone missing again. But honestly Gri, you're like a mermaid, with your head down in the sea all the time"

"Mermaids aren't real!" I insist

"Well try tell that to Biffa"

I roll my eyes. Biffa was 100% sure he met a merman 5 years ago, having convinced the whole crew that his story was real. I'm pretty sure he's making it up to see how long they'll believe him for.

"Biffa hit his head on a rock too hard" I snicker, Mumbo merely shrugging, going to check the small island out with the others.

I look around the area again. It's truly stunning. The crystal blue waters, the bright colours of the reef, the shiny rocks poking above the w-

I stop dead when I see a pair of curious, forest green eyes.

Yelping, I stumble backwards for a second. Was I seeing things?! Heading back to the edge of the ship, I look over at the rocks again. There's nothing.

I shrug it off, ignoring the feeling that tells me I definitely saw something. I dare say someone. I feel a hand on my shoulder, turning to see Iskall, who looks a little concerned.

"You ok dude?" They ask

I nod, grinning to hide my slight fear

"Want to push Mumbo into the water?"

An even wider grin splits across their face.

"You're on"

Scar's POV

I'm in the middle of panicking when an even more panicked Xisuma ducks into the doorway, practically hyperventilating.

"Oh god... they're in the water now!" He worries "What if they're looking for us? What if they saw you?!"

I poke my head out the door, seeing two or three distant figures messing around in the water.

"Uhh... it just looks like they're having fun Xisuma" I shrug with a smile

"You don't know how humans express happiness!" My friend responds

"The same way we do! They just look like friends playing together. And there's no way they could see us from here, we're perfectly safe"

Xisuma frowns, crossing his arms.

"I'm not trusting them at all. If they come any closer I swear I'll impale them"

"Well that's not very fair on them is it? Imagine if someone tried to kill you every time you came near the surface!"

"BUT THATS EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO!"

I cross my arms

"You know, for someone who's HALF human, I thought you wouldn't be so mistrusting of them"

Xisuma gives me the filthy glare he does whenever someone plays the 'You're Half Human' card, because he knows it's something he usually can't argue against.

"Just... just stay down here, ok?" He asks, and I see the worried look in his eyes, the fear that something might happen to me.

"You have my word" I promise, hugging Xisuma tightly. I don't intend to go near the humans anyway, just maybe watch them for a while.

Sitting on a small ledge above my house, I watch as they all have fun together, seeming so happy. I feel that longing again, and it's like it's tearing me apart.

It's starting to hurt, hiding away such a big part of myself like this. I won't be able to go on like this for much longer. Biting my lip, I have two options. Tell Xisuma, or ask Ezra for help.

And I know exactly which to do.