Slight Confusion

Scar's POV

I consider hiding, but it's too late. The other man is staring directly at me, Grian's white as a sheet, and Ezra's successfully hidden behind a tree, the man having not seen him yet. Despite being slightly terrified of her, I cuddle Jellie closely to me, much more scared of this man then her.

"Grian who's this?" He asks, raising an eyebrow and looking me up and down

Ezra then pokes his head out from behind the tree, and the human looks surprised.

"Hi Etho" my friend awkwardly mumbles, and my eyes widen. Does Ezra know this guy?!

"How do you know Etho?" Grian asks

"How do you know him?!" The man who must be Etho whisper yells "And who's this guy?!"

Ezra quickly comes out from behind the tree,

"Hey, hey! Calm down! Etho, this is my friend Scar, he saved Grian's life. Scar, this is Etho, and I assume he's part of the same crew as Grian"

"YOU MET A MERMAN AND YOU DIDNT TELL ANYONE?!" Grian gasps, looking at Etho in shock

Etho only shrugs

"I'm so confused right now" I mumble, hugging Jellie

Ezra takes a deep breath

"Ok. I'll explain. About a month ago, I was off to try find something cool, when I came across this ship. I got a little too close, and got myself caught in the fishing net. Etho found me, and set me free, and nobody else on the ship saw. When I saw it again 2 days later, I decided to go over and get a closer look, and he spotted me. It was the middle of the night, so he talked to me for a bit. Then I kept coming back, following the ship as it sailed along, until it eventually ended up here. That's how I got the compass. Etho gave it to me"

Things begin to click in my brain. That definitely explained Ezra's frequent absences, and possibly also why he was so protective of the compass...

"Scar, would you mind explaining the next bit?" He asks, and I nod.

"Yesterday, when the ship got here, I was curious and went up to take a closer look. I saw Grian, and I think he saw me-"

"That was you?" Grian exclaims. "I knew I recognised those green eyes"

I blush intensely, before continuing

"Well... I saw him drowning a few hours later, and saved him. Then I brought him back here. So that kinda explains most things"

"Well that was a bit of a coincidence" Grian remarks "But I have a question"

Etho nods encouragingly

"So what's the deal with you two?" he asks, eyes darting between Ezra and the masked man, a cheeky grin on his face. Ezra turns pink, and Etho groans, burying his face in his hands and mumbling something inaudible.

Grian and I both start giggling, and I smile. I could listen to that angelic laughter all day. Unfortunately though, Xisuma's brother clears his throat.

"Well... it's really late, I think Scar and I should get going-"

"Oh you just want to get out of this situation" Grian snickers

"No... we really do need to go" I tell him sadly "But I promise you, I'll see you again, ok?"

He responds by hugging me, and I feel myself blush once more.

"Pfft, and you think there's something on between Etho and I" Ezra mumbles, making Grian blush too

I quickly pull away, grabbing Ezra's hand

"Um... bye!" I call awkwardly before jumping back into the water

BDubs's POV

I blink sleepily, the morning sun coming through both the water and the window. I see Scar asleep next to me, snoring softly in his bed with a happy smile on his face. I pull my blanket, made of carefully woven seaweed strands, off of me, before remembering my theory from last night. I briefly consider telling Xisuma, but maybe it's best to have more proof first.

Well... I'm also hesitant to tell him. Say I'm right, Scar would never be allowed anywhere NEAR the surface ever again, let alone see this boy. I'd basically take away the only things that make him truly happy. So now my heart and my head are basically at war with each other. If I truly cared for Scar, I'd tell Xisuma, right? But then he'd be miserable and hate me forever. Or I could ignore this, and possibly let him get killed or captured. And this is my exact problem. I love him too much to do either.

I'm pulled away from my thoughts when Scar yawns, stretching sleepily.

"Hey Bubbles" he mumbles, seeming a lot more tired then usual. I point this out to him, and he pauses, before responding.

"Just... didn't sleep great. Might've been a pebble in my bed or something"

I don't really believe him, but I doubt he left. Xisuma has insomnia, and a habit of checking to make sure everyone's ok during the night when he can't sleep, which is pretty much every night. Unless he actually DID sleep for a solid 10 hours, which hasn't happened in years, there's no way Scar left the place unnoticed.

So for now, all I can do is assume he's telling the truth and get on with the day. But something's definitely up with Scar, he's very bright and happy today, in comparison to his usual boredom down here. He's humming pretty much everywhere he goes, hasn't disappeared off once, and has a more enthusiastic attitude to everything.

I'm not gonna snitch on him quite yet, but I still point this behaviour out to Xisuma.

"Does something seem... off about Scar today?"

"Uh... yeah. He's been a lot happier, hasn't he? Not that that's a bad thing though. Maybe he's just having a good day?"

"Seems like more then that to me. He doesn't seem bored in general, if you know what I mean."

"Yeah... funny, he hasn't shown any interest in that ship all day. Maybe it's that crush of his, he might've finally found someone who's made him want to stay down here"

I feel that twinge of jealousy again, accompanied by strong feelings of doubt. This would be a very good time to tell him my suspicions, though I'm not really sure what to say.

"Xisuma? I'm having... doubts about this Grian person"

"Why?" The Admin asks, raising an eyebrow

"Well... we don't know him for a start, and I have very good reason to believe he might be-"

I'm cut off by Xisuma laughing.

"Don't worry about it BDubs! As long as Scar loves someone, and they love him back, I don't care who it is"

"Really?" I ask, frowning a little

"Really. It doesn't matter who the person is, just how they feel about you. Anyway, Scar's gonna be fine, trust me"

It's very clear Xisuma means he doesn't care who the person is as long as they're a merperson, but I don't mention that. I take his words into consideration, and decide to go ask Scar some questions. If this Grian guy does care about him, it might not really matter if he's human or not...

Then again, I might be wrong.