Comforting Dreams

Scar's POV

"I have a bad feeling about this" BDubs mumbles, dodging sharp coral branches.

"Oh don't worry about it, he's really nice when you get to know him. Also, mind your tail, Xisuma would freak out if we got injured" I warn him, pointing to where his tail is.

He stops, and looks down to see he was about to impale one of his fins on a particularly large piece. Shuddering, BDubs continues to follow me, clearly scared.

"Why does this guy have such a dangerous entrance?" He asks, trying not to cut himself

"Never really asked. I assume it's to keep people away."

"Then why did you come here in the first place?"

"Well, I wasn't scared."

BDubs raises an eyebrow doubtfully

"And I'd been told he knew a lot about humans" I admit, earning a laugh from my friend as I squeeze past the last couple bits of coral, tumbling into the cave.

"Hey Scar! What-"

Ezra stops, glaring at me as he sees BDubs.

"Who's this?"

"This is BDubs, he knows about Grian, and we're worried about Xisuma." I quickly tell him

"Oh don't tell me his health has gotten worse!"

"Ok, I won't. But it's very bad. Do you know what's going on with him?"

"Yes, and he refused to accept my help" Ezra growls, swimming to the back of the cave. He moves a loose rock to the side and casually leaves through the hole he made. I frown, following him.

"I didn't know you had another way in!"

"Well yeah, you didn't think I actually swim through that reef every time I want to come in and out?"

"You could've told me that" I mumble, showing him the cut I got a few days ago.

"Eh, didn't really think about it" he shrugs, before heading back in the direction we came from. BDubs doesn't seem happy about swimming all the way back, but decides to put up with it.

"So what's wrong with Xisuma?"

"It's... complicated. To put it as simply as possible, it's been too long since he's changed forms and he's suffering because of it."

"But I've never changed before and I'm fine" BDubs remarks, confused

"And that's exactly why you're ok. I don't fully know how our magic works, but it seems to be that once you change for the first time, you have to keep doing it or... that happens"

He stops when he sees Xisuma practically wheezing his lungs out, Stress and Joe trying to help him. Ezra swims over as quickly as he can, eyes full of concern for his sibling. X looks up, sighing when he sees his brother.

"I'm ok... don't worry. I just need rest and I'll be fine" He tells Ezra

"Xisuma I doubt tha-"

"I'm fine. I just need sleep and I'll be ok" he assures him

"Fine, but I'm not leaving your side for a second" The white haired man sighs

Joe motions for Stress, BDubs and I to give the pair some space, ushering us toward the house he shares with Stress and Wels. I look back in concern at the sick admin, hoping he'll be ok. But something tells me it won't be that simple.

Xisuma's POV

When I finally fall asleep, I have a dream about a memory I thought I'd forgotten.

I can't be more then 5 years old, chasing after my brother as the sun begins to set. He jumps into the water in an attempt to escape me, but I'm a little bit faster then him, and manage to grab him just in time.

"I got you!" I cheer, carrying him bridal style

"Suma lemme go!" Ezra giggles, vigorously kicking his tail in an attempt to squirm away from me.

"No! I'm a pirate, I've captured you!" I yell triumphantly, running back toward our mother's small, beachside house with him in my arms.

"Noo! I don't wanna be captured!" he squeals, changing once again. He squirms out of my grip, landing on the sandy beach and running back toward our home. We run through the door, where both of us are picked up by strong arms.

"And I've captured both of you!" Our mom yells, making us both scream and giggle as she hugs us tightly.

I feel such love at that moment, surrounded only by those who care about me. I'm not scared that I'm in the arms of a human, nor do I care that I'm one too. I wish I could still be like that, that I hadn't met that one bad human who scarred me permanently. But my trust for them is gone. Even being near a ship brings back awful memories of pain and sadness.

I wake up when I feel someone shaking my shoulder. My breathing isn't that bad, it's still not great, but it's manageable.

"Are you ok? You were crying" Ezra asks, looking concerned

"Yeah... just had a happy dream that made me kinda emotional" I admit

"Was it about mom?"

...

"Yeah"

Our mother passed a long time ago. She was trying to protect us, and gave up her life to save ours. It really broke me, to see her killed as I watched, helpless. Memories of her are faint and few, seeing as we were only 12 when people came to try take Ezra and I.

And I guess that's where my trust issues with humans started, and then it only got worse from then on. Now it's landed me in a position where I can either die, or face my worst fears AND put the Hermits in potential danger.

I don't know what to do, and it scares me. I don't want to die, but I certainly would if someone got hurt because of me.

So until I find a way to make things work, I guess I'm gonna have to go for the former.