44. Wrath

*TW: mentions sexual assault, minor gore, blood, violence.
A/N: I was really nervous about posting this chapter.... This chapter is probably the longest one I've written, I know I've said it before but this one takes the cake...anyway Enjoy- Ren <3*

Freya hadn't spoken a word since her confession, even when you offered to drive. It had been a while since you both sat in silence, the last time was when you both were seven  during a camping trip. Gideon took you two bird watching and the more questions you both asked, the more impatient Gideon got. So he invented the quiet game, and made a mental note never to take you two bird watching.

The moment the car stopped, Freya rushed to the entrance.You were surprised the shop closed early but considering Freya's state....

"Fucking shit." she grumbled when the keys hit the floor. you rushed over with the bag of items in one hand while the other grabbed your keys out of your pocket. Freya groaned as she stomped inside. She turned the lights on and stopped in the middle of the shop.

"Why haven't you yelled at me?" Freya abruptly asked as you set the bag down. "Tell me how irresponsible and how stupid I am to let this happen? You haven't said a fucking word," her eyes began to water and her hands trembled as she frantically spoke.

"That's not what you need right now-" you defended, she shook her head while taking deep breaths.

"No, don't act like her." she snapped, her eyes were glued to the ground. "That's the last thing I need," she used her inhaler while continuously avoiding your gaze. You walked towards her and embraced her. Freya let out a deep breathe before hugging you back. She sniffled and sobbed in your shoulder.

Sarah always had such a gentle approach when Freya was upset when we were younger, it always de-escalated the situation. She was always sensitive so you knew better than to attack her head on... unless you were both drinking which rarely happened.

"Do you think she'd be disappointed in me?" she pulled back but held onto you like a newborn clinging on to their mother. "Mom?" she sniffled, holding in her tears. 

"Never." not missing a beat, you shook your head. "Why would you say such a thing? Disappointed wasn't in Sarah's vocabulary and you know that."

"I literally dropped out of college, I actually flunked out," Freya corrected herself. "If you didn't help I wouldn't have even got in., I can't do this. I'm so fucking incompetent."

"Are you fucking shitting me?" you looked at her in disbelief and gestured to the shop. "Look at this fucking place. You did this." you couldn't believe the insecurity that was bubbling out of your best friend.

"Again with your help!" she raised her voice, fidgeting in place. "I can't do anything myself. I always need someone to save me." her voice cracked, "My mom was so fucking independent, the woman was the embodiment of feminism for fuck's sake." Her breath was labored. "I barely have anything together, how the fuck am I going to do this?"

"I just followed your lead, Freya. I literally sat back while you made this all happen. You have accomplished so much on your own, I've only supported you while you worked your ass off." You looked around the shop trying to calm her. "Sarah wouldn't want you to go through life completely alone. Remember what she'd say? What would she tell us growing up?" Furrowing your brows, you waited for her response, but it never came.

Freya stayed silent, almost as if she was too scared to speak.

"A woman ill-prepared is a woman set up for failure." you quoted Sarah, holding on to Freya's hands. "We've been there for each other. We've kept each other grounded for years, Frey." a chill ran up your spine with those familiar words.