chapter 52

It was the night of the full-moon, I told Lily I was going to explore the grounds in my animagus form, Lily was very much against the idea. I was not thrilled I had to spend time with Sirius when the arrogant prick still had not apologised, but I was still going to help Remus, it’s not his fault his boyfriend is a dick. We were at dinner now and the amount of times she had told me not to go, had to be reaching triple digits by now.

“Lils, it will be fine and you get the dorm to yourself for the night,”
“Just practice transforming in our dorm, what if something goes wrong,”
“It won’t,” I said, ending the discussion as I had every time today, even though I was not quite sure how it would go. I ate a lot for dessert, as I knew I would need the sugar.

When dinner was over, I got away from Lily and any other students, then from the castle and soon after that my human body. I transformed into my animagus and ran to the shrieking shack, I wasn’t quite sure how early I’d be but I’d rather be early than late when it came to a werewolf.

The shack looked as if it would collapse in on itself soon enough, most walls were covered in deep scratches, I assumed from Remus. It had furniture but most of it was in such a bad shape, that sitting in it or even leaning on it looks like it would make it collapse. There were some newer things that looked as if Remus had been slowly building a den in their for years, a mattress, a duvet without a cover that had many jagged lines and over the years had lost the filling inside, a glass bottle half-filled with water.

Soon though I found the four boys, they were still themselves.

“Holy shit,” Sirius said, looking at my animagus form

“I-Iris that’s you isn’t it,” Peter asked nervously as I stood outside the threshold of the room they were in, I couldn’t quite fit through the door in my current state. I pictured my body clearly, I felt the hair retract, the world becoming taller around before I was standing in front of the boys in my human skin.

“I’m a dog, he’s a stag, he’s a fucking rat. Yet your a bloody bear,” Sirius announced
“I’m a bear that’s only an inch taller than Remus, I’m shorter than fucking Zeller still,” I said not looking at Sirius.

“Guys-” Remus said, setting off a chain of transformation. 

Sirius became a large onyx black dog that I assumed could be used for hunting if it were a real animal, Peter became a rat chubby with a hairless tail, James a majestic stag like the ones painted in nature journals and I returned to my form as a bear.

Watching Remus transform, was horrid. I heard each of the boys bones break, one after the other as he began to morph into a canine with elongated limbs and sharper teeth, but it was just Remus really. I could tell because as the animal straightened the glin in it’s eye reminded me of the docile boy, he was not a monster no matter the form he took once a month.

When Remus was fully transformed, Sirius carefully walked towards the boy and nestled his nose against him, before quickly running out of the shack. I assumed initiating a game as I followed the group of animagi out of the shack. The path we ran along had clearly been run through at least 20 times, but not by human feet. I assumed it was a journey they’d always take. 

Suddenly there was a loud crack of thunder, it made me jump but it didn’t affect Remus the same way, it was as if the thunder was some sort of switch for Remus setting him off. He immediately swiped for Sirius, without a second thought I jumped in front of the dog knowing Remus could do a lot less damage to a bear than a dog. I was knocked back but the boy hadn’t drawn blood, after that the boy seemed to calm down again, but I made sure that I was the one closest to him for the rest of the night.