Chapter 75

"I didn't do anything in Potions Minnie," I expressed, trying not to smile as the rest of the marauders sat beside me.

"Mr Pettigrew supplied you with mandrake root from the greenhouse, Mr Lupin found the Atari root, Mr Potter and Black supplied it and you Iris you did the equations and made sure Miss Evans didn't get dosed," Minnie explained down to the detail.

"It's chance Professor," Sirius offered he wasn't even trying not to smile at Minnie, I shook my head we were definitely getting a detention. When Minnie gave us an ultimatum.

"Three detentions!? Minnie all I did was maths, and I protected a student," I said rubbing my face.

"Let me finish Iris. Three detentions or one and all of you have to clean up without magic," she said, sighing loudly, rolling her eyes across the three of us.

"We'll take Minnie,"

"Professor Mcgonnagal," she reminded again.

"Forgetfulness comes with age it's okay, I'm Iris remember,"

"All of you out before I make it a 100 detentions," she said, turning to her paperwork. We all walked out smiling, Minnie went easy on us this time.

I clicked my neck before Sirius put his arm around my shoulders as we walked out, "I'm not cleaning up this, it smells worse than Sirius," I said looking at the room full of bird crap and potions waste.

"Do you want two more detentions+head girl duty you'll have no free time," Peter reminded.

"You four are animals, you clean it up," I said, Remus handed me a broom and we all started cleaning.

We all made jokes, as we cleaned. Remus was ignoring me and it was really starting to get on my nerves. James and Sirius were the worst, having sword fights with mop handles and enchanting cleaning rags to dance. Sometimes I forgot how tight knit the Marauders were. The four cleaned like clockwork as if they were different parts of the same person.

A piece of bird crap fell on my head gasping, I took a deep breath quickly flicking away, it landed in Sirius' hair, I put my hand over my mouth trying to hide my smile, before I turned to the rest of the marauders and I mouthed no one tell him. As we continued to clean each of us tried to get the bird shit out of his hair.

"You'd make an amazing house-husband James," Sirius said, I couldn't help but smile. James had a bandanna wrapped around his head, and a makeshift apron on as he scrubbed down a shelf.

"My goal in life Sirius, professional quidditch player turned house husband turned professor," James said.

"What do you want to do, Ris," Peter asked continuing the conversation and suddenly I realised I didn't have a clue anymore.

"I want to have fun," I said, it was an easy answer for me.

"You never really think about what might happen, Iris," Remus said finally.

-

I was tired of Remus, I was tired of him being rude to me, I stuck it out for the first month; the boys and I helped him through the full-moon. And as I woke up on the other side of the pillow wall I'd made to stay away from James as we shared his bed. I couldn't say I felt normal but I felt able, I felt I was pliable, I could fit into my old mold again. But every time it felt like Remus was cutting the few seams I had left with his remarks.

James' hand was loosely in my hair as I woke up and I looked around, Remus was only just awake in his own bed groping the covers for a book. Before he could find the book, I said the word  "balcony," Remus looked at me as if I were some creature, then he squinted making sure before nodding. He stood up patting his pocket to check for either his wand or a cigarette I wasn't quite sure which before pulling the closest shirt over his head.