45

[please read notes at the bottom in the end]

[TW: MINOR IMPLIED R*PE]

Hajime is 6 years old when he is sitting on a bench at some train station, his little legs dangling. The trains are so loud. There aren't many people around; It's late at night.

Hana grabs his little hand and squeezes as she huddles him closer to herself. He looks up at her with his wide emerald baby eyes. She's crying. She's crying so bad. She wipes at her snotty nose and shivers.

He doesn't understand.

"Why did mommy leave us here?" He asks her, confused.

She wipes her face with her sleeve and looks down at him. She tries her best to smile and wraps her arms around her brother, "she will come back."

"But why?"

"She— She went to get money for us."

"I'm hungry."

"We'll get some food when she comes back, okay?"

Hajime nods his round head and puffs his cheeks out.

Why does mommy has to go to that hotel? ... Why can't she take them with her? It's so cold.

"Hana, darling!"

He whips his head up to see his mother walking towards them, A man in tow. He is smoking a cigarette. Hajime keeps quiet. He hates the smell of cigarettes.

"He's hungry. Can we go?" Hana is quick to get up.

"Well, honey. . . ," their mother claps her hands once, "Trevor said he'll be an absolute darling and pay us for the whole week... if," she pauses to smile down at Hajime, carefully choosing her words, "if you'll go. . . play with him, Instead."

"Are you out of your mind?" Hana pushes their mother back, her small hands only doing so much. Her eyes are wide as she was wails even louder, "I'm not doing it again! Please! I don't— please! I can't! Don't make me—" Hana clutches her arm tightly.

What's happening?

Hajime stares at them with a surprised expression.

The man (tre... war?) winks at Hajime and drops his cigarette down, smashing it with his shoe. Their mother slaps hana across the face. Hajime gasps. His words are stuck in his throat. She grabs her daughter's arm and drags her into the train. Hana struggles  and screams.

'Don't leave me alone!' Hajime wants to shout at her. He can't. He can't open his mouth.

Their mother glances back to nod. He slowly nods back until he realises that she's nodding at the man. Hajime stares up at him. The train zooms past them in a blurring motion. Hana's cries now just a passing sound. 

"Hey kid what's your name?" The man is asking. Hajime can't speak. Are they going to come back for him?, "it's Ha-jime right? Your mommy told me."

Hajime shallows, "are ... they going to come back?"

"Oh yes," the man grins at him, "of course they'll come back for you. Do you want to wait in my room until they come? It's cold out here."

He does want to go. He's seen the interior of hotels countless times when his mother made them wait in the lobby. Hana always stole some food for him from the kitchen.

The man is smiling down at him. He runs a hand through his curly hair.

"Hana says not to talk to strangers."