Inappropriate

"Barapha, I can't find this other size six," I said leaving the stacks and approaching the rental desk to hand the skate over to the girl who was trying to exchange her hockey skates for figure. And who should I also find standing at the skate rental desk?

"Chase? What the hell are you doing back there? I've been looking all over for you," Sissy said her hands set dramatically upon her hips.

"Uh..." I began.

"Sorry, Chase. It's here. There were a bunch of knots in the lace so I had to replace them. Goddamn kids," Barapha said leaning around me to present the girl I had been helping with the matching skate. The girl thanked us and left. Barapha then turned to Sissy with a winning smile and said, "'Sup, Sis."

She grimaced and said, "I was under the impression you invited Chase to go skating, not do your job for you."

"Honestly, I'm having more fun back here, than I was out there," I said and I grinned adding, "Barapha showed me how to sharpen skates. There were a lot of sparks. It was really cool." Barapha looked down at me and smiled softly ruffling my hair with his large hand.

Sissy squinted at us for a long moment before pointing at us and saying, "I don't know what exactly is going on here, but I don't like it. Chase, come skate with me. Taylor taught me how to spin. I'll show you." I smiled nervously and shook my head replying, "No...I'm good back here. I'm thinking I might come back during the week when it's less crowded. Maybe Tuesday." I looked back at Barapha and asked, "Will you be here?"

He smirked and said, "Yep. Nine to five. There's a public session from one to four. Tuesday's are slow so it should be perfect." He winked and continued, "I'll give you a private lesson. You'll be skating circles around that Golan guy in no time." A pleasant heat concentrated in my face. He laughed and reached out to touch the edge of my glasses.

"Your specs are fogging up again," he murmured leaning towards me. Sissy scoffed and flounced away from us. I felt his ice cold fingers on my face as he bent down to press his lips against mine.

We kissed for several seconds. I wanted to feed from him, but I refrained. Feeding in public wasn't illegal per se, but most found it unseemly if not downright inappropriate.

We heard someone clear their throat impatiently and pulled away from each other. We turned to see a woman and her young daughter holding a pair of skates. The mother's eyes flicked judgmentally between us and I felt my face warm.

She plunked the skates down on the rental desk and said, "These are too big. Can we try a size three?" She stared at us as if she had caught us doing something positively lecherous and my face burned even hotter.

I glanced at Barapha and mumbled, "I'll get them." I turned away and rushed back into the stacks. There was no reason to feel ashamed. We were just kissing. Plenty of people kissed in public. I shook my head and searched the racks of skates for a size three.

I returned to find the woman glaring at Barapha with her arms crossed impatiently over her chest and her daughter staring awkwardly at the ground. I set the new skates on the desk and said, "Here you go."

"It's about time," the woman snapped though I couldn't have been gone more than a minute. She snatched the skates and handed them to her child who couldn't have been more than eleven or twelve. Barapha grabbed the skates that didn't fit and was just turning away to go sanitize them when the woman muttered something to her daughter. My brow creased.

Barapha whirled around and asked, "Have we done something to offend you?" The woman looked surprised. She didn't think she spoke loud enough to be heard. She shook her head haughtily and said, "I just don't think you should do things like that in front of children."

Barapha raised an eyebrow. My cheeks flushed red. He set the skates back on the desk and glanced at the daughter before turning back to the mother saying, "Well, I don't think you should bring children to events catered towards teenagers and young adults. We all have our opinions."

The woman opened her mouth to retort, but Barapha spoke over her, "And not that it's any of my business, but do you not kiss your spouse in front of your child?" Once again the woman made to reply.

"Oh...probably not," he said before the woman could say anything. He looked directly at her and continued, "I can't imagine anyone wanting to kiss a bitch like you, especially not in front of their impressionable offspring."