On Fire

He didn't taste as good as Barapha and being so close to him made sweat break out on the back of my neck, but the power...It was intense.

I hesitated for a brief moment and then clutched at him placing one hand on the small of his back pressing myself against him. My other hand grabbed his chin pulling him down to my height.

I pulled at the thread of his life. It was bright and rich and it burned through me setting me on fire. The heat was different and it didn't add to so much as replace my own. It was warm and comforting and wild and made my tongue tingle.

I felt sweat dripping down my back between my wings, but I didn't care. His life filled me instantly. I didn't need to keep taking but I loved the feeling of being full... being whole...being powerful.

I shoved him away from me and he stumbled backwards. I was sweating and panting, my breath steaming though it couldn't have been that cold out. I couldn't see, my vision was so fogged with Quetz power. The air around me shimmered like a mirage.

I blinked rapidly to try and clear my vision and wobbled towards the sparkling pillar of white light that was Barapha. It felt like the earth was tilting beneath my feet.

I began giggling hysterically. It was bubbling up in my throat and I couldn't force it back. I reached out towards him and he caught me as I collapsed in a fit of laughter. I felt his cold hands upon me almost painful and he moaned, "You're burning up, Chase."

"He-he is-I'm-I'm on fire. He's so-" I dissolved once more into giggles and Barapha chuckled saying, "He is quite powerful, isn't he? And look, you haven't even winded him." He fed on me, pulling the warmth from my skin until I could finally see straight. I looked over at Quetz and saw him conversing animatedly with Octavia though he didn't understand a single word she signed.

"O, we should go," I said and my voice sounded funny; loud and fluttery like a song. Barapha grabbed onto my arm and whined, "Chase, stay and let's have fun."

"Hmmm...fun," I mumbled. Fun? My brain was all swirly and light and filled with cotton candy. What was I trying to think? Ah yes, fun!

"There's a party!" I cried and Barapha grinned. I nodded jerkily and said, "Yes, a big famous Mythic party at the Hilton uptown. Sissy wanted me to go."

"Quetz, wanna hit a party on the way home?" Barapha asked and Quetz glanced at him. His face was flushed from the flight and the feed.

"Uh, you know I don't really like parties...b-but if you guys want to go I guess..." he trailed off and looked at the ground. I got that. I usually wasn't in the mood for parties either but I was so wired right now I thought I might be in the mood for anything.

"I don't want you to feel left out, Quetz, but I also don't want you to party-party if you don't want toooo," I sang dancing around. I felt really good; hot and cold swirling around inside me like ice cream with hot fudge sauce on top.

"Oh come on, Quetz. Let's go to a party!" Barapha cried and Octavia rolled her eyes bitter she wasn't allowed to go to the party. After a moment Quetz shrugged and asked, "Will there be free drinks?"

"There's always free drinks when I'm around," I replied suddenly confident in my ability to charm anything out of anyone. Quetz smiled softly and nodded before saying, "Sure, I'll go. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Should I change my clothes?"

I scoffed and said, "Nah, if they don't like how we're dressed then fuck them!"

"Chase!" Barapha exclaimed slinging his arm around my shoulders and whispering in my ear, "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" I giggled uncontrollably and we all set off back into town.

Totally nothing suspicious about three Mythics disguised as young men walking through town with a human teenage girl. We got a few odd looks from the patrolmen, but no trouble.

We dropped Octavia off at the apartment and Barapha yelled, "See ya! Wouldn't wanna be ya!" She stuck her tongue out at him before slamming the door and he laughed.

He slung his arms around mine and Quetz's neck soaking up the heat as we made our way towards the Hilton.