Contact

I gave Nikolai a sideways glance as I pulled through the gate. He was rifling in the inside pocket of his light jacket seemingly unconcerned with what I just witnessed. I looked back at the road. I wanted to ask him what he did to the gatekeeper, but I was kind of afraid to. Sitting next to him made me feel strange. Hot and awkward and...hungry. I wondered if it was because he wasn't human.

He pulled a silver cigarette case out of his jacket and turned to me asking, "You mind?" I glanced at him and felt my heart pounding in my ears. I shook my head and turned back to the road saying, "No." I took a deep breath and tried to remember which street his house was on. I should've paid more attention when Charlotte drove us. 

"Turn here," he said pointing to a street on the left. I turned and heard the click of a lighter. Smoke began filling the car. It wasn't cigarette smoke. It was weed. Now wasn't a great time for me to get a contact high so I cranked down the window.

I tried to figure out what he was. Sometimes I could tell by scent, or by the aura that surrounded a person. He smelled nice. I shook myself and tried to focus on the road. I couldn't tell much more through the bittersweet stink of marijuana. I peered at him out of the corner of my eye and tried to see his aura. I blinked. He didn't have one. That couldn't be right. 

"Turn right at this next road," he said and I did. I glanced at him again and tried to see the faint light that emitted from all things. Even trees and rocks had auras. 

"It's 7250 on the right with a big maple out front," he mumbled and I nodded looking out the windshield towards the right side of the street. I found the house after a few minutes and parked on the side of the road in front of the driveway. 

I unbuckled my seat belt and reached for the door handle but his hand curled around my wrist. I looked up to see him leaned over me, the half smoked joint hanging from his lips. My face grew so hot my glasses began to fog and I could feel my heart thundering in my chest. What was happening to me?

"Can we just sit here for a little bit...please?" he asked and I nodded not trusting myself to open to mouth. He let go of my wrist and sat back in his seat to finish smoking. I exhaled slowly and closed my eyes. Even with the window rolled down the cab of the car was becoming uncomfortably warm. 

"So you can fly, huh?" he suddenly asked and I glanced at him. He was staring at me with soft hazel eyes, the blunt smoking between his fingertips. I nodded slowly and he smiled. My heart thudded and I swallowed hard. 

"That's cool. But our neighbor, Mrs. Hillcrest, had a fit when she saw you." 

"I'm sorry. My...my house is kind of a far walk from here," I replied. I couldn't stop looking at his mouth. His lips looked really soft. 

"You don't have to apologize. It was kind of funny, but now she's gone off on some crusade saying we need to increase security at the gate and have the neighborhood watch out during the day randomly checking people's IDs. It's ridiculous," he said. 

"Yeah," I sighed unable to tear my gaze from him, "Ridiculous." I was really hot. The windshield was starting to fog. He raised the joint to his lips and smoked it into oblivion. A bead of sweat rolled down the side of his neck. I wanted to lick it off. 

"Do it," he said. 

"Huh?" I asked still staring at him. 

"Whatever you want to do to me...do it." I shook my head and looked up at his face asking, "What? I don't--"

"Yes, you do. You've wanted to kiss me since you laid eyes on me so just do it. You're driving me nuts," he said. 

"I-I have no idea what you're talking about. We should probably go inside," I stammered reaching for the door handle. He grabbed a fistful of my shirt and jerked me towards him smashing his lips against mine.