The World

"I had a really nice time tonight," I said gazing up at Barapha as we came to a halt in front of my apartment door several hours later.

"Me too," he replied reaching down to run his fingers through my hair. I sighed and raised up on my toes as he leaned down. I threw my arms around his neck, and we kissed. He had satisfied my hunger at the bistro so there was no desire to feed, just an intense longing to be as close to him as physically possible. He pulled away and rested his forehead against mine saying, "You're making it real hard to leave, Chase."

"I know," I murmured, my fingers tangling in his long hair.

"Are you off this weekend?" he asked, and I nodded. He held me tighter and said, "Spend it with me." I looked up at him and wondered, "What? The whole weekend?"

He smiled and replied, "Yeah. I'll pick you up Friday night after work. We can do whatever you want, go wherever you want. Say yes." I felt warmth radiating in every part of my body; a sweet, subtle warmth that filled me to the brim with ooey-gooey-fresh-baked-chocolate-chip-cookie feelings.

"Yes," I said with a blissful smile, and he sighed his hands moving to the sides of my neck to sap the warmth from my skin. I closed my eyes and lost myself for a moment in the coolness of his skin.

"I'm giving you nearly three whole days to think about what you want to do," he said straightening up and looking down at me. I opened my eyes, and he smiled saying, "Remember, anywhere in the world. No place is off limits."

I grinned and asked, "Are you offering me the world, Barapha?" He chuckled and replied, "Maybe." I felt tears burning suddenly in my throat and I threw my arms around him faceplanting his chest and hugging him tight. I felt his hand on the back of my head, and I inhaled deeply his crisp, cold scent filling my head. After a moment, I pulled away and sniffled saying, "Alright, get out of here before I start crying for real." He smiled and caressed my face using his thumb to wipe a tear off my cheek.

"I'll see you on Friday, eight o'clock sharp," he said, and I nodded. He disappeared in a small snowstorm, and I sighed retrieving my keys from the plastic bag containing my wet clothes. I unlocked the door, slipped inside and locked the door behind me.

I slipped silently through the living room, glancing at Octavia fast asleep on the pull-out couch and made my way towards my bedroom. I laid my still soggy clothes out on the back of my desk chair and kicked off my shoes before flopping onto my bed.

Something crinkled softly under my pillow, and I sat up. I reached under the pillow and pulled out a rumpled sheet of notebook paper. I smoothed it out and looked down at it reading:

 I smoothed it out and looked down at it reading:

I smiled despite myself and kept reading:

I lay back down and stared up at the ceiling feeling tears burn in my nose as I clutched the letter to my chest