Fascinating

"Yo, baby bro, I got coffee and pastries, do you want?" Sissy inquired barging right through the front door without even knocking. She nearly dropped the paper cup of coffee and the bag full of pastries.

"Chase!" she exclaimed. Her voice barely registered in my brain it was so full of bright, sparkly fluff. Barapha's free hand caressed the back of my head, bracing my mouth more firmly against his. After several seconds of vigorous making out, I felt something quite alarming growing stiff beneath me.

I pulled away and blinked the glimmering haze from the edge of my vision. I glanced down at Barapha's pants and said, "Um..." My face was flaming.

"It-It's fine. Keep going," Barapha panted reaching for me. I caught his hand in mine and said, "I'm full." Then I smiled and continued, "Quetz doesn't leave for the farm until after nine. Why don't you hit him up? Work off some of this...tension." Barapha grinned and murmured, "He's gonna be so pleased to know you got me all warmed up for him."

He sat up and leaned into me, kissing me gently on the lips. He ran his fingers through my hair and said, "I'll see you tomorrow, huh? One o' clock?" I nodded and repeated, "One o' clock." He kissed me again and murmured, "Maybe a few minutes earlier. I can give you a little pick me up."

"Sounds like a plan," I replied with a grin. He glanced over my shoulder and said, "Nice seeing you, Sis." He touched my cheek and gazed into my eyes for a split second before dematerializing in a swirl of ice and snow. I flopped back onto my bed with a contented sigh and smiled up at the ceiling.

"Well that was positively fascinating," Sissy announced setting the coffee and donuts on my dresser. She walked over to the bed and looked down at me.

"You're glowing," she said and I rolled over onto my stomach saying, "Shut up." She sat down beside me and continued, "I mean it, Chase. You weren't looking too hot last night. I'm glad he showed up." I pushed myself up onto my knees and sat back on my heels sighing, "Me too."

I jumped off the bed and went over to my dresser picking up the paper cup and taking a sip. I closed my eyes and sighed as the warmth filled me. How pleasant it was to be able to enjoy a hot beverage without sweating.

"Chai latte," I murmured before spinning around and exclaiming, "Best sister ever!" I set it back on my dresser and pointed at her saying, "I'm gonna shower. Keep that warm for me." She smiled softly and nodded as I skipped out of my room and down the hall.

Once I reached the bathroom, I peered into the mirror, trying to see what Sissy saw. Sure my hair was a little shinier. The dark circles gone from beneath my eyes. My skin had lost that feverish flush...but glowing? I shook my head. Sissy was on crack.

I quickly showered and brushed my teeth before returning to my room and pulling on a clean set of scrubs. I came into the kitchen to find Sissy picking at an apple fritter. My latte had been gently reheated and placed in a travel mug. A cruller rested on a small plate. I had a few minutes before I had to leave so I sat down across from Sissy and asked, "So, what are you plans for today?"

"Mmm, I'm going to lunch with Thomasina and Mackenzie. Might do some laundry when I get home," she replied.

"Wow...Tammy and Kenz. It's been a while since you've hung with them."

"Yeah," she said thoughtfully, "We started drifting. I miss them." I scarfed down my donut and stood up patting her on the hand.

"I hope you have fun. Tell them hi for me," I said scooping up my keys, wallet, phone and chai latte. I kissed her on the head and started towards the door.

 I left the apartment and made my way to the parking garage twirling my keys around my finger and humming absentmindedly.

"Someone woke up on the right side of the bed this morning," someone said falling into step beside me. I glanced up to see an exceptionally ordinary looking man. About 5'10," mousy brown hair and kind of doughy in the middle. I squinted at him and asked, "Taylor?"