Broken

The bell dinged again and I was joined by a tall busty blonde in a little black dress.

"Hi, I'm Ceres," She said without bothering to shake my hand. She glowed like a goddess.

"Chase," I replied. She smiled, her glossed lips parting to reveal white teeth and she leaned across the table, her double D's nearly smacking me in the face.

"So, I heard you're an incubus. Do you wanna--"

I shoved my chair back with a loud squeal, got up and left Samael's via the back door. I found myself in the alley behind the bar breathing in the cool air of a late spring night that only smelled slightly of the large overflowing dumpster occupying the alley.

I took a deep breath and pulled at my shirt. I was hot. I took off my glasses and rubbed my eyes. I should have never agreed to go out. I just wanted to be curled up with a good book and a cup of chamomile tea. I pouted and put my glasses back on. I leaned against the side of the building and slid down into a sitting position. Why couldn't one of those people be nice and make actual conversation and exchange numbers or something? I took my glasses back off and began to furiously clean them. Then again, I only spoke to three. There were seven left. Maybe one of those would have been an actual person who wanted to talk and make a connection. I hooked my glasses on the collar of my shirt and closed my eyes. My insides hurt. Everyone thought being an incubus/succubus was great fun. All sex all the time. And sure, for some that was true...like Sissy. But for some reason I didn't feel like having that kind of fun. All the hunger and none of the fun. It wasn't fair. Maybe I'm broken.

Speaking of.

I heard the sound of a bottle breaking and a whimper and my eyes snapped open. I saw a heavyset man and a teenage girl at the mouth of the alley. He had her backed up against the wall with the bottom of a broken bottle inches from her throat. I quickly replaced my glasses and the scene came into better focus. As if on cue, lightning flashed overhead lighting up the tears glittering on the girls face. Thunder followed and after a moment the ground was soaked with a sudden downpour.

The man was yelling at the girl, barely audible above the rain. He pulled her away from the wall and slammed her back against the wall jabbing the bottle at her. I stood up and could hear the girl crying out something in response. The man must not have liked what the girl said because he made to bury the shattered end of the bottle under the girl's chin. My eyes widened in shock and before I could think I rushed through the pouring rain and lunged between the girl and the man, stupidly ending up with a chest full of broken glass.