Real Subtle

There was a sudden rush of cool air then fingers like ice on my face. I opened my eyes, the edges of my vision blurred and Barapha's handsome face came into view.

"Oh my, little one, what's got you in such a state?" he asked, placing a finger beneath my chin and tilting my face up to meet his.

"I..." I gasped my vision hazing. He smiled and drew so close the tip of his nose brushed mine asking, "Yes, Chase?" I threw myself at him panting, "I'm hungry." He removed my glasses and set them aside brushing my hair off my forehead and he moaned softly saying, "I can tell."

He curled an arm around my lower back and stood up pulling me to my feet. He brushed his lips against the corner of my mouth and slipped his hands up the back of my shirt. I sighed at the coolness of his skin, and he chuckled asking, "Aren't you late for work?"

"F-fuck work," I gasped, and he laughed his large hands sliding across my ass to my thighs lifting me effortlessly off my feet. He gazed into my eyes and murmured, "That's what I like to hear." He pressed his lips against mine. Instant relief. I threw my arms around his neck and the kiss deepened. All the heat roiling beneath my skin surged forth all at once and red light shimmered beneath Barapha's skin.

He shoved his tongue in my mouth and lay me roughly down on the hood of my car. I was too intoxicated to care. His hands slipped up the front of my shirt sapping the warmth from my skin and his mouth moved to my jaw and then my throat. His teeth sliced into my skin. It hurt for a split second, then ice was rushing through my veins.

My core temperature flared in response and Barapha moaned gripping me tighter. He pulled away from my neck and moved back to my mouth smearing my own blood across my face. My fingers tangled in his snow-white hair as I drew forth the thread of his life. The wound on my neck healed as his energy flooded my cells.

My headache disappeared, my vision cleared, and the sweat froze on my skin. An ice storm swirled through my entire body and suddenly I could breathe again. I removed my fingers from his hair and placed my hand against his chest pushing him away.

"Enough," I said, and he pouted asking, "Is it?" I stared at his lips red with my blood and felt the heat in my chest rise once more. Barapha chuckled and leaned closer murmuring, "There's no such thing as enough when it comes to you, my little sex fiend."

My face flushed with embarrassment, and I turned my head. Barapha laughed again and pressed his freezing lips against my cheek siphoning the warmth from my skin. Then I saw something that made my blood run cold. I sprang up into a sitting position so quickly I would have slid off the hood of the car if Barapha hadn't been gripping my thighs.

"Niki!" I exclaimed hastily straightening my scrub shirt and attempting to wipe the blood from my neck. He was standing ten feet away breathing hard, his skin flushed.

"I-I'm sorry. I was just—wh-when you left, I could tell you were feeling—and then it got worse. I could feel you from the sixth floor and I wanted to make sure you were alright, and you are so I'm gonna...yeah," he stammered before turning robotically and starting back towards the stairs.

"So, you're the Empath?" Barapha asked straightening up to his full height. Nikolai turned back to look at us and his eyes widened. Barapha looked Niki up and down before turning to me mumbling, "Bit early for a social call, Chase. Did he spend the night."

"Y-yes, but it's not what you think," I hastily responded feeling the ambient temperature drop by several degrees. His lips spread in a tight smile, and he said, "I'm sure." He looked back at Nikolai who was seemingly frozen in fear.

"Not that I would be upset," he insisted turning to me and continuing, "Really, Chase, he's adorable." He walked over to Nikolai and held out his hand saying, "It's nice to meet you. I'm Barapha." Niki's eyes flicked nervously to me then back to Barapha hesitantly taking his hand. Barapha sighed and the temperature dropped by several more degrees. Nikolai shivered and I ran over to them placing a hand on each of their chests and pushing them apart.

Niki stumbled back shivering violently and Barapha sighed lustily turning to me. He caught me about the waist and said, "No wonder he's got you so worked up, Chase. He runs hot." I laughed nervously and replied, "That's great. I gotta get to work."

"Do you want me to teleport you?" Barapha asked gazing down at me. I shook my head and replied, "No, but I dropped my keys, and they ended up halfway under the car. I can't reach them. Can you?" His mouth bent in a gentle smile, and he said, "Of course." He walked over to the car, glanced back at Nikolai who was still shivering and reached one hand under the front bumper.

With seemingly little effort, he lifted the front tires of the car several feet off the ground revealing my keys hidden underneath. He gestured at me with his free hand and said, "Go on." I rolled my eyes and quickly retrieved my keys. Once I was safely out of the way, he lowered the car and dusted off his hands. I glanced at Niki whose mouth was hanging open in shock.

"Real subtle," I muttered looking at Barapha and he smiled. I unlocked the drivers' side door and got in the car. Barapha leaned in after me and said, "You get off at six, right?" I nodded and he continued, "Let me take you out."

"Where?" I asked and he shrugged replying, "Your choice. I'll pick you up at eight." I gazed up at him, at the light indigo flush along his magnificent cheek bones and I reached up to touch his face siphoning away the majority of my enchantment. He sighed and leaned into my hand.

"I'll think about venues," I said pulling away. He caught my hand in his and squeezed it tight replying, "I'll see you later." He leaned further into the car and pressed his lips gently against my own. I exhaled softly and he disappeared in a storm of ice and snow. I closed the door and looked out the window. Nikolai was nowhere to be seen.

"Great," I muttered to myself before starting the car and squealing out of the underground parking garage. Nora was going to kill me.